Question Yet another freezing question...

Jul 10, 2019
Hello, THW community! I put this off for two months trying to fix it, but I'm at my wits' end.

A few months ago, my computer began randomly freezing, even under VERY low workload (just letting the computer sit). No error message. No automatic restart. Just a solid freeze. I have updated countless drivers, replaced parts, reinstalled Windows 10, but all to no avail. I'm relatively new at building computers, but as far as I have read there are no compatibility issues. It's been three months since I've been able to rely on it (I do a lot of digital painting and a good bit of gaming) and I'm exhausted. Have also been in touch with tech support for most every part. Nothing they suggest seems to help at all!

My build is as follows:

AMD Ryzen 7 2700x (purchased brand new. Freezing seems to not be related to temp of CPU)
ASRock B450m Pro4 (Switched out from Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H [updated BIOS and everything], but problem persists)
G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8gb (in troubleshooting, discovered one stick was bad. They've both been replaced. Problem persists)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 (drivers updated, no change; however, aside from the replaced MOBO, this is my newest part, purchased used from a friend. But the freezing and the new GPU installation don't really coincide.)
Two Western Digital 1TB drives (had a Crucial 64gb SSD die on me [ran Windows off it], reinstalled on a WD HDD, problem persists)
EVGA 600W PSU (it's been replaced in the last year, the previous one's fan died and they replaced it at no charge. Could it be the PSU? It's only a year old)

Thank you kindly in advance for the assistance. THW community has helped with problems in the past, but I've never had to actually ask a question. Apologies for putting yet another "my PC freezes" question out there! Really wanting to pick up my Wacom again and not be worried about my system freezing (it ALWAYS does, within 15 minutes or so after booting the computer. Even sometimes freezes in BIOS).

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Well, that would eliminate malware or viruses. And probably not something CCleaner would find and fix (software conflicts, registry errors...
I guess it's time to swap out what you already haven't. Got another old gfx card you can test with? Access to another PSU?
Try one stick of RAM only (in recommended slot for single stick if required in your manual).
What exactly is the CPU temp when the freeze happens? I know, hard to watch for that,

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Another test would be to unplug the drive and boot to BIOS or just the black error screen and wait to see if it freezes. If not try the drive on another SATA header.
If you have a W10 installation disk/flash drive, you can try booting to that and wait to see if it freezes.

Jul 10, 2019
Got another old gfx card you can test with? Access to another PSU?
Try one stick of RAM only (in recommended slot for single stick if required in your manual).
What exactly is the CPU temp when the freeze happens? I know, hard to watch for that,

Have my old Radeon 7850 in there. Hasn't frozen yet, but I do keep getting multiple BSODs after a few minutes of running with different error codes every time. I did just put the new Mobo in, I'm sure I messed something up!

RAM down to 1 stick doesn't change anything, seems like.

I've checked CPU temp in BIOS immediately after a freeze and restart and it's never been over 54C.

Really, I super appreciate you taking the time to help!

Jul 10, 2019
That's what we're here for. But with no success so far.
Those multiple BSOD would make me think bad RAM if you hadn't already eliminated that. Car to try another memtest run on each stick individually? For at least one full pass.

Apologies that took so long to do. Truthfully I'm a little frustrated but I have also been very busy.

The RAM (tested one stick at a time with memtest) passed with flying colors. I did get a BSOD with the error code "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT" and did a little troubleshooting on that. Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic and it crashed and reset halfway through.

I'm thinking, currently... I didn't replace the BRAND of RAM. I got my RAM replaced with the exact kind by the company as one stick was faulty. Could this be the RAM not liking the rest of my build very much?

Thanks again for helping me out!