yet another gaming monitor help

tripialos

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Hi everyone

After about a week of reading..and googling...and reading.. about what monitor to get for my gaming rig...i am finally "short-circuit"....

I give up..i hate it...i put hands down...i had enough...

My rig has the following specs:
cpu: Intel i5-4690k
RAM: 8GB (8-8-8-9) 1600 Crucial Balistix
GPU: GTX970

I wish to buy a budget gaming monitor (23'' to 24'') for about 150 euros (like $180) but i cant really figure out which one. At the begining i was planing to get a TN panel which have low input lag and faster responce time. I ended up on two vendros , ASUS and BenQ.

After reading here in the forum that IPS pannels have much better colors and the respond time of 5ms doesnt worth it to actually move to a TN pannel with 2ms i decided to drop the TN pannel monitor and head for an IPS.I must admit that i did like the fact that i found an asus monitor with 75hz refresh rate but i think in latest trent games (like Withcer 3) i wont get more than 60 - 70 FPS with that rig (my humble guess..correct me if i am wrong)

On the IPS side, i read that there are many monitors stating that they have 5ms respond but they are "lying" and the actuall responce time is like 6-8.

So i have the below questions:

1) Considering the rig i have, i dont think i can push to 120-144 FPS hence going for a 144Hz is not actually worth it . Right?

2) I only want to use the specific monitor for gaming and occasionally on a Linux system (ubuntu) with a few terminals opened to do some work. Do you think i indeed need the colour and picture quality of an IPs or in that case TN is better option. I would like to note here that I DO NOT PLAY FPS BUT RPGs.

3) In case TN is the way to go, is there a monitor around the budget i mentioned earlier that can do 75Hz and have nice colours?

4) In case IPS is the way to go, could you recommend a Monitor with fast response time (i think 5ms is the best case) which for sure wont produce any tearing or ghosting with decent angle views? If it could do 75Hz would be awsome,

Thanks for your bravery for reading this whole thing and i hope that i would be able to narrow down things with your comments.

Solution

yeskay

Distinguished

I would recommend this 1ms TN panel flicker-free gaming monitor: Believe me, the advantage of having 1ms instead of 5ms in FPS multiplayer games like Battlefield, Call of Duty etc. provided by this monitor is huge and will certainly contribute to improving your online game play. This monitor also has an exclusive mode for RTS Games.

BenQ RL2455HM

D-sub / DVI-DL(Dual Link) / HDMI x 2 / Headphone jack / Line in / 2W x 2 Speakers

- Gaming-comfort Flicker-free Technology - effectively reducing eye fatigue herewith providing extreme comfort for even the most hardcore gamers after long hours of play time.
- Black eQualizer for total visibility.
- Customize your individual viewing preference - Interchange instantly between four different screen sizes from 17", 19" and 19"W, 21.5"W, 22"W, 23"W to 24"W using the Display Mode. Or take advantage of the Smart Scaling feature and enjoy the flexibility to freely scale the screen content to any custom size. You can certainly use the two features together to get the best possible view for any application or game.
- Fast 1ms GTG response time
- Exclusive RTS Mode
- Energy Star Qualified
- Windows 7 & 8 Certified

As of writing this suggestion, this monitor at Amazon.com is priced @ $179. No other competitor offers a great gaming monitor at this price point. IMO, Sweet deal!

Solution