yet another laptop rec's post . . or maybe what to avoid . .

hondochica

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2012
Greetings

so it has been 4+ years since I've looked for a new laptop - and I'm still running a win 7 machine - so . . certainly not up on the 'latest/greatest' - but that's not what I need. I need a basic laptop - 15.6" screen (+?) for my sister who knows Nothing about computers and uses one only when absolutely necessary. she's only familiar w/ Windows - so no Macs.

Basically - I'm wondering more what I should maybe 'avoid' - as opposed to what I 'need'. I tend to lean toward HP, Dell or Lenovo. And toward a refurb just cause I've had great luck w/ them and to save $$ and because she just doesn't need the latest/greatest. Also - my current laptop is an HP Elitebook refurbished and it has been an absolute Workhorse for me for the past 4 years! I've been very happy w/ it. (Running win 7 pro 64 bit).

Here's the checklist of Q's per 'sticky' post:

Thank You soooo much!
Kelly

1. What is your budget?
Prefer < $500 - I think I can get a decent computer for her needs on that. - tell me if I'm wrong.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
size? screen - 15.6+ cpu? hdd/sdd? ram?? what 'size'?

3. What screen resolution do you want?
I don't think she cares! she'll probably Never watch a movie on it - but she does download a fair amount of photos.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Kinda a desktop replacement - she/I may get a regular monitor somewhere in the future - to avoid buying a new computer.

5. How much battery life do you need?
Probably not relevant - I doubt she'll take it off her desk.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
An Emphatic NO!

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Basic internet - basic word processing; probably photo editing

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
I'm thinkin' 250G min

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
As long as possible!

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Basic DVD rom writer

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
HP - Dell - Lenovo - the (former?) workhorses of the laptop world - and about the only brands I'm really familiar with (maybe ASUS? Samsung? - I do like my samsung tablet)

13. What country do you live in?
Good Ol USofA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS