[SOLVED] Yet another mixing ram question.

Oct 17, 2020
I'm sorry to make another question about this topic. I can see there're a lot of mixing ram threads but I can't find my answer.

My system is Ryzen5 2600G on MSI B450 and HyperX 2x4G ram 2400, no discrete GPU. My main use is editing, graphic, and many chrome tabs. No gaming.

I'm planning to add 16G more ram.

What is my best option? 2x8G for less headache or 1x16G for a future upgrade (my preference)? I guess I'm not going to make any major upgrade in the next few years so I may need spaces.

I know that mixing could lead to an undesired result but my budget is very limited so I'd like to keep my previous ram.

Thank you.

Solution
Many people will tell you not to mix kits, but if you are low on money and can't easily sell your old ram to pay for the new ram, you are better off trying a new kit added to your old kit. Lower speeds have a better chance of working together. The worst that will happen is either you have to run the lowest speed (2133) or return the ram for a different kit.

That being said, you are better off buying a 2x8GB kit to keep running dual channel mode with your 2x4GB.
Many people will tell you not to mix kits, but if you are low on money and can't easily sell your old ram to pay for the new ram, you are better off trying a new kit added to your old kit. Lower speeds have a better chance of working together. The worst that will happen is either you have to run the lowest speed (2133) or return the ram for a different kit.

That being said, you are better off buying a 2x8GB kit to keep running dual channel mode with your 2x4GB.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isaras
Solution