Question Yet another 'no post' issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2023
I have built many PCs over the years, but the last one was in 2017, so it's been a while. Still, the process seemed familiar, and I had no issues during assembly. Here are the parts I used…

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX
CPU: Intel Core i5 13600KF
Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Graphics: MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4080
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x32GB DDR5
Storage: SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIe NVMe
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e
Case: Fractal Design 7

On power up, the VGA light on the motherboard lights, and then I get the five beeps error code and the machine produces no onscreen output.

I have read and tried everything in the stickied forum post to no avail. I have tried with both RAM sticks individually, in every available slot (just to be sure). I have removed and reseated the CPU and cooler (it all looked fine). If I leave out all the RAM, I get the series of continuous beeps at power on, as described in the stickied thread.

I have completely removed the 4080 from the system, so I'm just trying to use the onboard video now, via an HDMI cable to a basic 1920x1080 display. All power supply connections have been double-checked (none are lose, and none are missing). There are no loose screws in the case, the area under the motherboard is free of any loose bits, etc.

I am absolutely stumped at this point; I've never had this much trouble getting a build to simply POST. Any ideas as to the possible causes?

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023
Just installed the 4080 and tried again. Same result - five beeps, yellow VGA light on motherboard. It really shouldn't matter what/if the VGA cable is connected to, because the machine's not even getting that far.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
Five beeps indicates the processor.
  • 1 Beep - Refresh Failure. Reseat/replace memory, troubleshoot motherboard.
  • 2 Beeps - Parity Error. ...
  • 3 Beeps - Memory Error (first 64KB) ...
  • 4 Beeps - Timer Failure. ...
  • 5 Beeps - Processor Failure. ...
  • 6 Beeps - Keyboard Controller Failure. ...
  • 7 Beeps - Virtual Mode Exception Error. ...
  • 8 Beeps - Display Memory Failure.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
I'm sure you'll get some better advice than mine, but unless you have known good parts you can substitute, I'd take it to a repair shop. Frequently, the only way to conclusively determine if a part is bad is by substituting with a known good one. A repair shop will have that capability.

I know what the code indicates, but what are the troubleshooting steps? Any, or do I just return it and ask for a replacement as it's faulty?

thanks!
The only CPU troubleshooting steps that I'm aware of is to check to ensure it's sitting in the motherboard CPU socket correctly and to verify the CPU cooler's heatsink is snug and fully down on top of the CPU. Also ensure the Arctic Liquid Freezer II's wires are all connected up properly to the motherboard.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023
Well, after all that, the answer was ... reset CMOS. I had tried this via removing the battery and the power cord, but apparently I didn't wait long enough? A friend used the onboard jumpers to reset CMOS, and then it booted right up.

Sorry for the false alarm, and thanks for the possible explanations.

Status
Not open for further replies.