Question Yet another nvlddmkm thread

Joshua Williams

Honorable
Jul 6, 2015
Hi all,
I know there are like, 20 threads on this already but nothing I've tried has worked. The problem is intermittent, but seems to be worsening. When playing Elite Dangerous or Wasteland 2 the game screen will freeze but audio and gameplay will still be running in the background (though sometimes it freezes altogether). Most of the time I can alt-tab out of it and kill the process in task manager. However almost every time, the event manager shows a:

"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

But like I said, the problem is intermittent. Sometimes I can play all day without fault, other times I can't game for more than 5 minutes without a crash. I've noticed as well that when I install a game fresh, I can usually game fine on it the first few times, but once it crashes, the crashes become more frequent. I've tried:
  • Reinstalling drivers
  • Increasing TDR timeout in regedit
  • Underclocking the GPU
  • Using a single monitor instead of dual
  • Not using borderless windowed
  • Disabling graphics-intensive options
  • Reseating the graphics card
  • Disabling GSYNC

Currently, I'm at a loss. It seems like a driver error, but without more information on what's actually causing it I don't know how to fix it in this instance.

System specs (mega old system):
Intel i7-3820
NVIDIA GTX 1070
Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3
16GB RAM
Windows 10

At this point, I'm tempted to reinstall windows just in case it's some OS error.

Jun 14, 2020
I can't offer any help, unfortunately, but I know that I had this issue a lot with my old GTX 650. I now have a 980 and I very rarely get the issue, but I do still get it. It baffles me that Nvidia hasn't released a fix for this, it has been a problem for years.