Question Yet another PC rebooting/restarting randomly on Windows 10

rebelx

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2012
My computer has been restarting randomly, primarily when sitting on idle or with very light use. Very rarely does the computer restart randomly when I'm actively using it, such as when I'm playing games, but it has occurred on enough occasions to where I have noticed it.

Specs:

• CPU: AMD 3700x
  • RAM: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model BLS2K8G4D32AESEK [using default DOCP profile from mobo to run RAM at 3200]
  • MOBO: ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3, 80 Plus Gold 850W, Fully Modular )220-G3-0850-X1)
  • GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC2 ULTRA GAMING, 08G-P4-2187-KR
  • NVME: HP EX950 M.2 2280 2TB PCle Gen3 x4, NVMe1.3 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) 5MS24AA#ABC [boot drive]
  • NVME: Samsung SSD 860 EVO M.2 1TB [storage]
  • Windows 10 Pro [genuine upgrade from Windows 7]
  • OS Build: 19042.985 Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A
  • Case fans: Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM Sterrox LCP fan (one rear exhaust, two front intake)
Heat is not a problem since it was restarting with no use and even during the winter months, but it's quite a bit worse now.

I pulled up the Event Viewer and I have multiple "Critical" Event ID 41 errors (Source: Kernal-Power)." All these items correspond with a computer restart. I pulled up the Event Property details and the BugcheckCode is 0, as are all the other entries in the Details tab.

When I google'd this, I am seeing power supply issues, possibly (see Scenario 3 at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/troubleshoot-event-id-41-restart)? I currently have the CPU plugged into a Monster surge protector [not a power strip] which goes into the wall.

I have previously run a memtest on the RAM when I first purchased it and it did not have any errors.

I am not sure what to do besides possibly RMA the power supply and hope for the best? The PSU was purchased in December 2018, so it's not like it's terribly old.

I could also reset Windows, but I had already done that for an unrelated issue last year and this issue persists.

My antivirus is ESET Nod32 Internet Security. No viruses or malware was found.

EDIT: I even took out the Restart PC pin connector yesterday thinking it was shorting out or something. Computer still restarts randomly!

If any logs are needed, I am happy to provide if you can direct me on how to obtain the files and where to host them.

ZCWFo1u.png

Last edited:

rebelx

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2012
Might suggest that you check all your connections and make sure a pin hasn't pushed out on the PSU harnesses.

Thank you for your suggestion. I had the case opened up yesterday as I was disconnecting the restart button pin connection and I did recheck all the PSU harness connections. Everything is sitting tightly. I was originally thinking that perhaps there was some sort of short and the computer was acting as if I had manually pushed the restart button the case, but now with the restart connection physically disconnected, it is still restarting on its own every now and then.