[SOLVED] Yet Another Prospective New Builder :))

Butterpants

Reputable
Nov 4, 2019
Another newbie coming to see what wisdom may be passed on to me in my consideration to undertake building my own PC.
Some background of what I am looking for in my rig:
  • Mostly used for gaming, and mostly for a single game that isn't super graphics-intensive but stresses individual CPU cores (from everything I have read, does not utilize multiple cores simultaneously)(Yep, World of Warcraft).
  • Trying to do this for as little $$ as possible while still providing a quality machine that will last me for a while.
  • Figure I can get by on my current NVidia GTX670 GPU for a while yet to save some money

So I started with the CPU as that is pretty widely acknowledged to be the biggest bottle neck with WoW. Prioritized high single clock speed and price and found a great deal on an i3-8350k for $65. Rest of my part selection grew off of that.
Here's the parts list I've come up with:

$65 CPU: i3-8350k
$85 MB: ASRock B365M Phantom Gaming 4 LGA 1151
$55 RAM: 16gb G.Skill Aegis, single stick, DDR 4 2666
$67 SSD: Crucial P1 PCIe M.2, 500gb
$65 PSU: Corsair CX550 80+ Bronze
$40 CPU Fan: Reeven Steropes 120mm
$56 Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX mid tower (2 fans included)
$11 Case Fan: Be Quiet Pure Wings 2 120mm PWM
$8 Thermal Compound: Noctua NT-H1

$ 510 Grand Total, including tax and shipping

How's it look? Anything missing?
Open to suggestions/recommendations. My budget was $500 so I don't have very much wiggle room to up the cost, though if it really makes sense I'll have to consider it.

Thanks!

Solution
The site that the cpu is listed on seems highly suspect! A $90 rtx 2080, I'd be very weary of buying anything from that site. Also considering the 8350k is about 195 on most all reputable sites, do not risk it. So not a great deal! It's a ripoff!!!

That being said, the i3 is never really a good choice anyways. Especially at the price of it, when ryzen matches or beats the clock speed and has the added benefit of core count if you ever decide to branch out to other games. It also makes little sense to pair a k sku cpu with a b series mobo, as you wont be taking full advantage of the chip.

Dual channel ram will always outperform a single channel setup, and is worth the extra $10ish.

That is a very poor choice for a cpu cooler...
The site that the cpu is listed on seems highly suspect! A $90 rtx 2080, I'd be very weary of buying anything from that site. Also considering the 8350k is about 195 on most all reputable sites, do not risk it. So not a great deal! It's a ripoff!!!

That being said, the i3 is never really a good choice anyways. Especially at the price of it, when ryzen matches or beats the clock speed and has the added benefit of core count if you ever decide to branch out to other games. It also makes little sense to pair a k sku cpu with a b series mobo, as you wont be taking full advantage of the chip.

Dual channel ram will always outperform a single channel setup, and is worth the extra $10ish.

That is a very poor choice for a cpu cooler. Unless you absolutely needed a low profile cooler, but with the case you selected, you do not. Also most coolers will include paste, so put that few bucks towards something else.

You say you're keeping your current GPU, so I'm assuming you already have a pc? Were you gonna sell it? If not, do you need a case? That's some more cash towards other parts if you don't need a case. Depending on your current hardware, it may be more beneficial to part it out and keep the case.
Here's a quick build if you really want an i3. Comes with a stock cooler which would most likely outperform the cooler you had chosen.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($86.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock B365M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($74.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($64.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.88 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.88 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 120 PWM 87 CFM 120 mm Fan ($14.78 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $422.20
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-04 22:22 EST-0500

Here's a ryzen build, which imo, is a much stronger base. Also includes a cooler, and will be able to oc slightly. Will also outperform the i3 build.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($117.58 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($79.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($64.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.88 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.88 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 120 PWM 87 CFM 120 mm Fan ($14.78 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $457.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-04 22:28 EST-0500

Solution

Butterpants

Reputable
Nov 4, 2019
This is why I came here, thanks!

Yes I have a current system, though it's really struggling. Think a combination of 8-year-old components and poor cooling is taking it's toll. Wouldn't be too comfortable selling it to someone to be honest. Though I could possibly reuse the PSU, I'd have to go in and check to see what it is. The case is kinda trashed out. Broken front panels. But I could consider reusing that as well.

The reason I was considering the i8350k was to dabble in overclocking, and because everything I've read seems to indicate WoW runs better on Intel over AMD for the reason that Intel generally handles single core tasks a bit better, while AMD tends to do better with multi core tasks.
Looking at benchmark tests, the i8350k performed very well on a single core, especially when OC'd, compared to some higher-end/newer CPUs.
But I admittedly know just enough to get myself into trouble, so good to hear what those with more experience think.

I had went with the single 16gb RAM stick as the motherboard I had found only had 2 RAM slots, and I thought it left me a little more wiggle room if I decided to go crazy with 32gb later on down the road. But seems you think that isn't worth considering in regards to the trade-off in performance.

Thank you for pointing out the CPU cooler. Its inclusion was actually a mistake on my part, as I was trying to search for the Reeven RC-1001b Brontes that was recommended in a Tom's Hardware article, but I accidentally navigated to the Steropes.
That being said, I noticed you do not include a CPU fan in either of the 2 builds you recommended. Do you think one is not needed? I know the Ryzen typically come with a well regarded heat sink (fan?) but wasn't sure about the Intels.

Thanks again!

The 8350k is not worth the cost imo. Overclocking or not.

Especially from the site you linked above. There is no way that's the actual cost. Looking at the other items on the site, I would stay far far away! The 8350k is a $200 chip, no way your getting it for 65 bucks.

The b365 board will also not allow overclocking, regardless of cpu choice. It is geared toward the locked intel cpus. To oc you would need a z370 or z390, so add at least $100+ to the builds. Again, for an i3, not worth the cost.

Both the i3 I linked above, as well as the ryzen include coolers and would be fine. The i3 I linked is a non overclockable chip, and the ryzen will oc ok on the stock cooler. If you don't try to reach for the moon.

I'd still say the ryzen will outperform the i3. They clock about the same, and honestly the difference between the two would probably be unnoticed by you.

Single channel is never worth it. Future upgrades aside. Ram seemingly holds decent value, and if you decided to go from 16 to 32, you could sell the 16 kit and buy a 32 kit. But for gaming, I don't see 32 being needed for any amount of time. Watch a few videos and you'll see just how much dual outperform single. Could be talking double the fps in certain titles, and in most all cases at least 20% better.

Overclocking is fun and is easy performance. But again the difference would be negligible. We're not talking any serious fps gains here. Maybe 2%-5%, and the added heat will definitely require a decent cooler.

4 core CPUs are honestly showing there age, regardless of how new the chip is. And imo not even worth considering when building a new system.

DO NOT REUSE an 8 year psu. For any reason. If the busted case doesn't bother you, that's an extra 60 bucks in your pocket. Or to save towards a new gpu, or grab a better cpu. That 60 could mean an i5 vs an i3. Way worth it!

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in here eventually. But I don't really see anyone recommending an i3 at this point.

If you're already playing your game on an aging system, either option will be mind blowing!

If you're really all that interested in an overclocking intel chip, that's a 4 core. Hit up Ebay and grab a 6600k, or a 7600k and a nice used z170 or z270 board. Will save you considerable money and will perform as good if not better than the i3. They're basically the same chip.

Heck, I have a 6600k I'd let go for basically the cost of shipping and all you'd need is a board. Z170 boards on ebay shouldn't be more than $100. You would need a cooler though.

Butterpants

Reputable
Nov 4, 2019
Good stuff.

The only reason I was considering overclocking was to try to squeaze every bit of value out of my dollar on the CPU. If I can get good performance without doing so then I probably wouldnt feel the need to learn about and fiddle with it.

I think you are absolutely right that whatever I do is likely going to be a vast improvement and will satisfy my needs. So its really about finding that sweet spot in value of performance : price.
If I could run on med-high settings without loosing significant fps during the most hardware-stressing portions of the game, and maintain that for a few years, I'll be pretty darn happy. Right now there are select parts of the game I just cant engage in because even with settings on 1 my fps make it unplayable.

Last few questions-
  • How did you decide on the Ram kit you recommended? Is that matching to a particular CPU/mobo, or just going off reputable manufacturer and price?
  • the ssd drive you recommended i see has a sata interface. It is my understanding that a PCIe offers much faster read speeds. Is there a reason not to opt for the PCIe that I am not aware of?
  • if I reuse my case, I will be ditching the noisy and dirty case fan in there. Will a single case fan be adequate, or is it worth the little bit of extra money for additional? (noise isn't too big of a concern for me, though it would be nice to no longer be asked while in discord what i am power-washing as I play).

Finally, are there typically sales on individual components during the Thanksgiving bonanzas? Is it worth waiting til then to start purchasing parts?

Hi, basically the two options Gmoney06ss wrote are good. Since you only seems to care about WoW any of them will perform very, very well.
If newer games are a possibility to you in the near future then Ryzen 5 2600 should have more life ahead of the line and its the way to go.

I know the questions are not for me but:

"How did you decide on the Ram kit you recommended? Is that matching to a particular CPU/mobo, or just going off reputable manufacturer and price? "
You just pick any know brand with higher frecuency you can pay (there are others things like timings, die manufacture, etc.). If you wana be 100% sure, you go to the motherboard manufacturer site and you check for the motherboard model and see if the RAM kit you choose its shown in the QVL (https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450 Pro4/#Memory)

"the ssd drive you recommended i see has a sata interface. It is my understanding that a PCIe offers much faster read speeds. Is there a reason not to opt for the PCIe that I am not aware of? "
As of windows, usual apps and gaming loading times, you will be more than happy with any SSD you can get, as long as is a know brand. It really doesn't matter if its SATA3 or pci-e for home use.

"if I reuse my case, I will be ditching the noisy and dirty case fan in there. Will a single case fan be adequate, or is it worth the little bit of extra money for additional? (noise isn't too big of a concern for me, though it would be nice to no longer be asked while in discord what i am power-washing as I play). "
If noise is somehow important you should really go the be Quiet! way (but there are many options today to pick from, and many reviews to read and watch to learn from), and fans can also be tweaked on BIOS to perform well, but not do soo much noise.

Reactions: Gmoney06ss
I chose that ram kit based on price and a few reviews I've seen. It seems to be a solid kit, for a great price. Of course you can always find better, but fir the price, its excellent. I know personally I'd never be able to tell the difference in a 3200mhz kit at c14 vs this c16. And I doubt you would either.

Like Rodrox said, you wont see any difference with a data vs a pcie drive. At least not with this application. If you were doing long sustained writes, or similar you may, but gaming nah. Booting to windows is almost instantaneous. I have the drive I linked, and its plenty fast for my needs. Games load fast, windows boots fast, no apps so far show any lag. If you're not already on an ssd, the speed increase from a standard hdd is insane. It's just awesome and I wish I would have done it sooner!!

If you refuse your case, investing a few bucks into a couple good case fans is not a bad idea. I'd get 2 at least. One in one out. 3 if possible and go 2 in, one out.

Sales? Yeah for sure. Black friday/cyber monday can net you some pretty significant savings. I would definitely wait. You could potentially save a 100 bucks.

Reactions: RodroX

Butterpants

Reputable
Nov 4, 2019
Bumping this thread as I have bought all my components! Put it all together, hooked up the monitor to the motherboard's display!
Flipped the PSU switch, hit the power button and all the fans are spinning, the sata3 M.2 card lights up and.................nothing else.

It will turn on and fans spin like butter and will stay powered on as long as I like...but no display.

So my noob question: does the ASrock b450m Pro 4 require some kind of gpu or integrated graphics to post? My GPU won't arrive until Friday, but I wanted to at least get my OS installed and updated, all my drivers updated, fiddle around with RAM timings in the BIOS before it got here.

I found this from a 3rd-party spec site, but don't know if this means the PC won't post at all without a GPU or not -
The ASRock B450M PRO4 does not support onboard graphics. Any system build that uses this motherboard therefore requires a separate graphics card, or a processor that has a GPU on the same die, such as AMD APU processors.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me out. This is stressful....

Last edited:
Hi, Ryzen CPU don't come with integrated GPU, on unless you have a discrete graphic card you wont be able to post.

(You never said what parts you got, other than the motherboard I mean)

Only Ryzen APUs come with integrated GPU (they are a cut down version of the Ryzen CPU and are 1 generation old)

Why aren't you using your old GTX 670?, you said on the first post: "Figure I can get by on my current NVidia GTX670 GPU for a while yet to save some money".

Cheers

Butterpants

Reputable
Nov 4, 2019
Ok, yeah, it's a 2600x. I had assumed it would be able to display simple text at least without a graphics processor. Apparently all the cpus I've had before (or the mobo's they've been in) had some kind of basic integrated graphics chip.

At the end of the day I decided to just splurge and get everythimg taken care of at once, so i picked up a Gigabyte rx590 for $175.
I havent pulled the GPU out of my old system because I wanted it operational until I got the new one all set up.
What am i supposed to do while windows and all the drivers are downloading/installing/updating?
That can take a long time from what I understand. I'd have to, like, read a book or something. Yikes!

TRENDING THREADS