Question Yet another thermal paste question

aceace33333

Honorable
Jan 5, 2016
I installed a new CPU / Liquid Cooler yesterday (9900k & NZXT X72).

After fastening on the NZXT heatsink, I realized my RAM would not fit due to the position of the heatsink’s water tubes. So, I lifted off the heatsink, rotated 90degrees, and re-fixed it down. Unfortunately, that orientation still didn’t work, so I took it off, rotated another 90degrees; and fastened it down (this time it was fine).

Thus, I took the heatsink off 2x after the initial application. Both times I looked at the thermal paste on the cpu and heatsink, and both seemed well-spread.

I am wondering if it is worth the hassle to go back and take off heatsink just to reapply the thermal paste. For what it’s worth, I’m running a very mild OC (4.8 w/1.25v). So far, the 9900k idles at ~45degrees, and averages low-mid 50s during gaming. Highest I’ve seen it hit is 60c and that’s only occasional peaks.

So, with modest temps like that, should I even be worrying about my thermal paste application being messed up with 2 “resets” of the heatsink? I’ve read many comments about ‘air bubbles’ and don’t know A) if they’re really a thing, and B) if they’d even matter at these temps.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

kanewolf

Titan
I installed a new CPU / Liquid Cooler yesterday (9900k & NZXT X72).

After fastening on the NZXT heatsink, I realized my RAM would not fit due to the position of the heatsink’s water tubes. So, I lifted off the heatsink, rotated 90degrees, and re-fixed it down. Unfortunately, that orientation still didn’t work, so I took it off, rotated another 90degrees; and fastened it down (this time it was fine).

Thus, I took the heatsink off 2x after the initial application. Both times I looked at the thermal paste on the cpu and heatsink, and both seemed well-spread.

I am wondering if it is worth the hassle to go back and take off heatsink just to reapply the thermal paste. For what it’s worth, I’m running a very mild OC (4.8 w/1.25v). So far, the 9900k idles at ~45degrees, and averages low-mid 50s during gaming. Highest I’ve seen it hit is 60c and that’s only occasional peaks.

So, with modest temps like that, should I even be worrying about my thermal paste application being messed up with 2 “resets” of the heatsink? I’ve read many comments about ‘air bubbles’ and don’t know A) if they’re really a thing, and B) if they’d even matter at these temps.

Thanks in advance for the replies.
I wouldn't worry about it. You didn't contaminate it or lessen the amount. If it ain't broke don't fix it.