[SOLVED] Yikes! First Gaming PC Build - Any suggestions?!

Dec 1, 2019
Thank you for your help everyone!
This is my first build, therefore I am a bit wary if this setup will work.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dhPcTC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor ($139.75 @ Amazon) Bought used on EBAY for $95 **** This is a used CPU, the only used part in this build. I have the opportunity to swap out with a brand new processor for about $60 more. The new processor is: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8-Core 3.7 GHz (4.3 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 105W YD270XBGAFBOX Desktop Processor
CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Max 55.78 CFM CPU Cooler ($37.47 @ Amazon) - The stock WRAITH SPIRE COOLER that came with the CPU is installed, not the Wraith Max.
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: XPG Gammix S5 1TB PCIe 3D NAND PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 NVMe 1.3 R/W up to 2100/1500 MB/s SSD (AGAMMIXS5-1TT-C) (could not find on PCPartPicker) $110
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($126.89 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB DUAL EVO OC Video Card ($238.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: DIYPC Alnitak-BK ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.96 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ ModMyMods)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($96.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $874.01 - $44.75 for the Ryzen CPU - $37.47 for the CPU cooler and + $110 for the PCIe SSD = $946.54
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-01 06:18 EST-0500

Last edited:
Solution
Thank you Newtonius - I am laid up on my couch after knee surgery and I am pretty tired. Which is not a good excuse for writing a post with poor grammar, but whatever. I edited it before I sent the original but for whatever reason it didn’t apply my changes. I edited this post after reading your message this morning, and I actually appreciate you calling me out on it!
As for the CPU: I’ll make the swap to the 2700X. So my RAM speed is directly affected by my CPU speed? I still have a lot to learn in this building process.
Thank you again!

The cpu doesn't directly affect the ram speed but the RAM itself controls its own speed, the motherboard also controls the speed between both the RAM and the CPU, called a fabric interconnect...
Dec 1, 2019
Thank you Newtonius - I am laid up on my couch after knee surgery and I am pretty tired. Which is not a good excuse for writing a post with poor grammar, but whatever. I edited it before I sent the original but for whatever reason it didn’t apply my changes. I edited this post after reading your message this morning, and I actually appreciate you calling me out on it!
As for the CPU: I’ll make the swap to the 2700X. So my RAM speed is directly affected by my CPU speed? I still have a lot to learn in this building process.
Thank you again!

This post looks so annoying to read man, and the grammar hurts my head. Just change out the 1600 for a 2700X. No idea why you're pairing a 1600 with 3000MHz DDR4 RAM. The 2700X will give you a decent boost in performance.

Thank you again!

The cpu doesn't directly affect the ram speed but the RAM itself controls its own speed, the motherboard also controls the speed between both the RAM and the CPU, called a fabric interconnect or infinity fabric. Thus knowing what speeds your motherboard supports for RAM is important.

On your motherboard's website:
Support for DDR4 3600(O.C.)/3466(O.C.)/3200(O.C.)/2933/2667/2400/2133 MHz memory modules

The O.C stands for Overclock. Meaning what frequencies you are able to overclock your RAM up to without issues with the interconnect. Since you're getting 3000, you'll want to either overclock it to 3200MHz, or downclock it to 2933. Then set your interconnect speed to half of whatever you chose (because DDR stands for double data rate, so that number doubles later, don't think too much into it).

Other than that there's nothing else to really worry.

Solution