[SOLVED] Yoga 900 13ISK turns off few seconds after turning on

Jun 4, 2020
Hi,

I have a yoga 900 that recently started to turn off a few seonds after turning on. This happens every time - exactly like this (not my video, but identical behaviour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IsfofE4dBc&feature=youtu.be).

I have noticed that the fans don't start - sometimes one might rotate for a fraction of a second, but that's it. See video here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ty4GAb7BhEpzBUB19 - note when the light turns on by the power button for when the boot starts and turns off. I have measured 5 volts across the fan when the laptop is on (fan not spinning), but don't know if that implies faulty fan or if it received 5V always with on/off/speed controlled by signal cables. I have unplugged battery (with AC adapter disconnected) and held down power button for 30 seconds - this didn't help/do anything.

Does anyone know:

1. If the fans should always be on during boot (and therefore if I have faulty fans/replacing the fan unit would help)?
  2. What the issue might be if not fans?
  3. Anything else I should look for/test?

Thanks for any help,

DP

Solution
If the fans should always be on during boot (and therefore if I have faulty fans/replacing the fan unit would help)?

usually the fans are not always on
What the issue might be if not fans?
power supply/charger/battery/motherboard/RAM/SSD/HDD,...

how high is the voltage of the battery and the charger ?

Anything else I should look for/test?
remove all unnecessary devices, like RAM (only one is needed if two are installed) or storage
If the fans should always be on during boot (and therefore if I have faulty fans/replacing the fan unit would help)?

usually the fans are not always on
What the issue might be if not fans?
power supply/charger/battery/motherboard/RAM/SSD/HDD,...

how high is the voltage of the battery and the charger ?

Anything else I should look for/test?
remove all unnecessary devices, like RAM (only one is needed if two are installed) or storage

Last edited:
Solution