Yota Phone is a Dual-Sided Smartphone With E-ink

Status
Not open for further replies.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
might be good if you have full control over the e-ink, eg a button to send what ever you are looking at on the LCD, to the e-ink

Great if you are reading a long article and want to switch to e-ink, or if you want to text then do that on e-ink.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
This is super cool. I was talking with a friend of mine a couple of months ago and said that exact idea would be great for a mobile phone. Can't wait till they have working full colour e-ink displays. That alone would at least double a phones battery time as the display is still by far the most power consuming component.

halcyon

Splendid
This is quite neat but my thinking is who is Yota, what's their build quality, durability, etc.? Samsung, you should have thought of this instead of that weird camera thing you just pulled out of thy heiny.

I like the idea of an eink display.... but lets just have a single display. Make it color eink or a mirisol display and get rid of the power hungry lcd. It would not be for everyone, but I am sure there would be a market for it.

halcyon

Splendid
^That'd be no fun. The dual display is innovative. The LCD could be 1080p just to silence the doubters and cover both displays in Gorilla Glass 2 with aircraft grade alumiinum for the balance of the body and voila!

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
i've been waiting for years for an e-ink phone. call me crazy, but i use a phone for calls/texts and would like to see the screen in sunlight!

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
This is a great idea.
Wait... Yota, please patent it worldwide before certain fruit company claims it's their innovation, I'm not trolling or kidding...

Now, at any given moment are both of the screen active? If only 1 of the screen is active, can you seamlessly switch between the screens? It'll be great if I can play games and watch movie on the color side, and for everything else I'll do it on the e-ink. Someone else mentioned about color e-ink, move on to it in the future and we can see a new trend for smart phones. True innovations ;)

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]This is quite neat but my thinking is who is Yota, what's their build quality, durability, etc.? Samsung, you should have thought of this instead of that weird camera thing you just pulled out of thy heiny.[/citation]
Don't worry, Samsung is already copying this was we speak. Er I mean innovating now.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]unoriginal1[/nom]Pretty cool.But i know i would drop it... and instead of one shattered screen. I'd have two.[/citation]
Gorilla Glass 2, per my earlier post.

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
When I saw this article, I immediately remembered something like it mentioned in the past so I thought "Did these guys just get the idea off that?" And I found it, but I had forgotten that it was a patent. I wonder if there'll be any legal disputes, but the patent (or at least the title of article does say "Tablet" (not phone or devices in general)." Patent Shows Amazon's Design for Two-Sided Tablet

G

+10 for this idea - either as Yota are doing (and yes they have a button which send the colour display image to e-ink), popslate which looks like a possibility (but just for iPhone, maybe Galazy S3) or as other's have mentioned, a dual mode display - one that somehow has a e-ink layer. The latter would be best but I suspect they will come to market in the order listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.