"You are about to be logged off"

dziire

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2012
Hello!

So I've had my computer for about 6 months now and everything has been going fine until about 20 minutes ago, when playing a game I was notified with a message along the lines of "You are about to be logged off", the warning said it would restart my computer within a minute in which it did, my computer restarted with no problems and no further error messages were shown... I then began to research what caused this problem and every thread I clicked said it was a virus/malware, is this always the case could I have possibly become unlucky?
I must admit I've downloaded things before but this has only just occurred now and the last download I made was around a week ago.

Should I be worried, is it possible this is a one time thing?

Any reply is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Just in case:
i5 2500k
GTX 660
(request for more although I doubt its necessary)
64 Bit WINDOWS 7

andrew129260

Honorable
May 11, 2013
If you do ever get this message, simply going to command prompt and typing shutdown /a will abort the shutdown or restart operation. A windows update would not give you a dialog box saying you're about to be shut down or logged off in less than a minute.
And yes, it is a prank to pull on people. But if you are at home on your own network, this is unlikely. Unless you have your network not locked down and neighbors that like to have some fun.

Just to be safe, I would run a scan with your antivirus just to be sure. Can't hurt.