You Can Get Windows Desktop on Chromebook via VMWare

Status
Not open for further replies.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
I sure hope the companies pay for the workers to have LTE, said LTE fast enough to cope with it all and very good LTE network coverage or they're gonna have a pile of useless laptops.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

Not really necessary, at least in the first world. I can't remember the last time I was somewhere other than on a plane with no WiFi. Also, it's not like a Windows PC would behave differently as you would still need connectivity to access a corporate network.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
I mean here in backwards Australia there's no WiFi on buses (they have that in HK, it's very flaky), no WiFi on trains, sometimes WiFi in public places like coffee shops... rarely see them in restruants. The only retail store I know of that has free WiFi is Target.

I guess these chromebooks would be useful if the whole ecosystem depended on remote accessing a work computer, but I mean like without WiFi or when you get flaky WiFi at least you still have your full Office suite complete with Word and Excel for VBA macros and whatever it is corporate types get up to.

Then again I'm thinking of everything from MY perspective which is really skewed given all I want to do is run Creative Suite on my laptop :p.

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I see no cost justification adding Chromebooks. I realize someone will say, well the Chromebook is cheaper than a typical corporate desktop/laptop. While this may be true the real cost won’t be hardware based the REAL cost will come supporting Chromebook running a virtual copy of Windows running user/company applications on top of that. I can’t imagine adding another layer of support for all of this. Chromebook bound companies better beef up their Helpdesk/Desktop Technician workforce.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
So, if you're buying this for 4k video, assuming 700MB/second uncompressed video, you can have either 23, 46, or 93 SECONDS of video per card? Better get that shot in fast, no space for a retake!
Actually, that's not fair, it says the card only supports 30MB/s constant speed, so the video must be compressed to work. Still, even then you're talking 9/18/36 minutes per card assuming max constant speed bitrate.

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
How is it going to save $5000 per deployment when Microsoft is still going to charge the Windows licensing fee for running it in the cloud. Microsoft has never offered Windows free when the user tries to run it in a virtual environment, it is not going to change now.

Status
Not open for further replies.