You Can Preorder AMD Ryzen CPUs Now

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I think anyone with a quad core sandy bridge K cpu or newer is really struggling for a reason to upgrade, they still hold their own. But i really just want the performance figures of these AMD's already, hopefully it wont be another bulldozer.

9th

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Already pre-ordered an 1800X from Newegg this afternoon. Don't really care about reviews, I just need to replace my 9590.

Anyone know which Am4 motherboard has two NVME ports on it and supports DDR4 3200 RAM?

hannibal

Distinguished
This should work in win7 just like the new Inter cpu, but you don't get new features that this prosessor support used in win7. Also if there is/Are any bugs that has to be remedied by software, it is possible that win7 will newer get those. Like the bug in the last Intel Atom prosessor that is software fixed.
But all these Are backward compatible to older models so They should be just fine.

AdviserKulikov

Honorable
Jan 13, 2015
I'll be putting my order in once the Ryzen 5 models get benchmarked. I don't have any real use for 16 threads, but it's awesome that performance desktops have reasonably priced options once again.

9th

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Anyone know if it's worth getting a DDR4 3200 capable motherboard vs. something like 2666 or lower? If it's just a difference of say, a couple seconds on video encoding, I think I can live with it.

Walter_35

Prominent
Feb 17, 2017
@OLD_NEWBIE

"Huh? This is not "odd" at all (for AMD or any company). Why, then, is anything up for pre-order? How about: gauging interest, adjusting initial production runs, appeasing/capitalizing on early adopters, guaranteeing sales for your distribution partners...I could go on and on. Offering pre-orders is the marketing world we live in now."

Sure, but pre-orders without a shred of independent testing, especially for a product that is likely very, very different from previous offerings....? This isn't like Intel offering the i7-7700K for preorder here; we pretty much new what that was going to be like. So while you might come up with some off the cuff reasons pre-orders are nice in an abstract sense, doing so still requires a pretty big leap of faith by the customers in this case and I'm sure the "I'll just return it if I'm disappointed" mentality is alive and well in those making preorders. I'd also guess having a substantial fraction of the preorders returned, should independent bench marks turn out to be disappointing, isn't the greatest thing to make your distribution partners happy..... But then again, if you're plunking down ~$500 for a processor and mobo without any real performance metrics, you're likely an AMD fan boy that's going to buy one and live with it no matter what anyway, so what do I know?

Sinko

Prominent
Feb 22, 2017
I believe it's perfectly fine to pre-order one of these bad boys if you know you're upgrading from something pre-Sandy Bridge K CPU's. For anybody else, I would just wait to see some real-world benchmarks and reputable reviews. The most interesting I would like to see is how well they overclock and Intel's response to the pricing.

Broon_Khavar

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017
I'm still running my AMD Phenom II X6 1090T OC-ed to 3.6 GHz, on an Asus Crosshair IV Formula board, with 16 GB DDR3 1600. It runs just fine, but it's showing it's age, because it cannot handle my R9 390 without blackscreens/crashes (not in gaming, just in browsers, of all things).

I need a new system bad, and I only build every 4-6 years. I refused to buy Intel with their price gouging and lack of innovation.

Needless to say, I pre-ordered the 1800X and Asus Crosshair VI Hero, with 16 GB of DDR4 3200 RAM and a Corsair H100i Water cooler. I have a sneaking suspicion that I will not be disappointed, and will have several years of great performance, no matter what the snobs say!

old_newbie

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
@ WALTER_35

First, I totally agree with you....from a technical standpoint. Like I'd never use an OS until the first service pack or a new CPU/mobo socket until the 4 or 5th BIOS update. We know bugs will abound. Yes. To be an early adopter of anything is to have faith.

I, however, was looking purely from a marketing/business standpoint. AMD has hit every milestone perfectly in their marketing strategy, which has improved exponentially since Dr. Su took over. Offering pre-orders is the culmination of that strategy (for all the reasons I listed previously). This is the REAL story here. I would love to see the pre-order sales metrics. We're already seeing pre-order sellouts in a matter of hours. This could be a very early indication of a successful market execution.

My beef is with this article(?). So then, from a business standpoint, look at what Tom's is implying here as an alternative for AMD to launch their product: "Wait to offer the CPUs for sale until some Intel-sponsored opinionated blog looks for the worst case scenario benchmark, and tries to stifle all of the interest and anticipation generated by a well-executed and costly marketing strategy." Why in the world would AMD do that instead?

Sorry. I still see the business wisdom in offering pre-orders..and now, thanks to this article, I see why companies keep their NDAs going until hard launch.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Well look, if we wanted a ton of cheap traffic, we could report on every single unsubstantiated Ryzen leak and rumor and whip you guys into a frenzy. But that's not what we're about. We're going to tell you what we know, when we know it, and we aren't going to feed the hype unnecessarily. That would be a disservice to you readers.

You're going to spend hundreds of dollars on these chips, not to mention the accompanying system components. You deserve to know what you're getting before you spend that money. When it's review time, we'll give you all the nitty gritty details. Maybe then we'll be using a lot of exclamation points; but maybe not.

People are just very impatient these days, just look at Ryzen topping pre-sales at Amazon before any reviews are done. These people really need you to post the review in the past so they can know how these will perform before they are released. Anyhow I'm waiting on full reviews not just from here but from a few other places(I like second and third opinions) before I decide to jump in or wait for Intel's response 6+ months down the road.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Your hair is Ryzen! #Itsamiracle

Status
Not open for further replies.