Question You dont have sufficient rights to scan the drive

Apr 25, 2022
I tried to scan my d dive which is an external hard drive but it said you dont have sufficient rights.But when i look security tab all the users have full control

Ralston18

Titan
AV or malware scan?

How are you trying to scan the drive? What software/tool?

More information is needed about what you are attempting to accomplish.

Open the Disk Management window.

Expand and size so the entire window contents are viewable.

Take a screenshot and post the screenshot here using imgur (www.imgur.com)

Identify the external hard drive in question.

The D: drive - make and model drive? Capacity? How full?

Apr 25, 2022
I had an issue where i was unable to access any of my usb drives, and that included scanning to fix drives. The fix for me was to check in Group Policy if ''All Removable Storage Access: Deny All Access'' is enabled.

If you already use or can create an "Administrator" user account you may follow this: To access Group Policy console open "Run" (Win+R), type in gpedit.msc and hit "Enter". Then go to "Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Removable Storage Access" looking for All Removable Storage Access: Deny All Access and check its status. Default setting is "Not Configured" which covers common use.

Mine was "Not Configured", which is correct...however i thought why not changing it to "Disabled" to force it into a configuration where it could NOT deny access. It did not fix the issue. Then I changed it back to "Not Configured" and suddenly i can access all my drives again. No idea how my system glitched out with this issue, but i hope this works for you too!

Also, do the same for ''User Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Removable Storage Access" settings.

Apr 25, 2022
I had an issue where i was unable to access any of my usb drives, and that included scanning to fix drives. The fix for me was to check in Group Policy if ''All Removable Storage Access: Deny All Access'' is enabled.

If you already use or can create an "Administrator" user account you may follow this: To access Group Policy console open "Run" (Win+R), type in gpedit.msc and hit "Enter". Then go to "Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Removable Storage Access" looking for All Removable Storage Access: Deny All Access and check its status. Default setting is "Not Configured" which covers common use.

Mine was "Not Configured", which is correct...however i thought why not changing it to "Disabled" to force it into a configuration where it could NOT deny access. It did not fix the issue. Then I changed it back to "Not Configured" and suddenly i can access all my drives again. No idea how my system glitched out with this issue, but i hope this works for you too!

Also, do the same for ''User Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Removable Storage Access" settings.
unfortunately there is nothing called gpedit.msc in windows 11.when i typed it in after pressing windows + R ,it said to make sure if the name is typed correctly.then i tried to open it using cmd but still the same message.later i found this in a website ' Microsoft ships a useful tool called the Group Policy Editor, commonly known as Gpedit.msc or just GPEDIT, with the Pro version of its Windows operating system. It is handy for enabling or disabling functions of various elements in the OS, by changing Registry values, but in a more user-friendly way. Unfortunately, Home Edition users don't get access to this nifty tweaking utility. ' So is there any way ?

i discovered the problem when 3rd party apps kept saying the disk is read only when i tried to save something but all the users had full control in the security tab. But i can copy paste files using windows but not through 3rd party apps and the tools like scan disk are saying i dont have rights.i tried using chkdsk feature but it said thec disc might be locked by some other process but there is no other way to lock it.i can see no buttons or anything.

Apr 25, 2022
AV or malware scan?

How are you trying to scan the drive? What software/tool?

More information is needed about what you are attempting to accomplish.

Open the Disk Management window.

Expand and size so the entire window contents are viewable.

Take a screenshot and post the screenshot here using imgur (www.imgur.com)

Identify the external hard drive in question.

The D: drive - make and model drive? Capacity? How full?

i discovered the problem when 3rd party apps kept saying the disk is read only when i tried to save something but all the users had full control in the security tab. But i can copy paste files using windows but not through 3rd party apps (eg: saving a file in that drive through word or saving a game through steam)and the tools like scan disk ( using properties of the disk in (windows explorer))
are saying i dont have rights.i tried using chkdsk feature but it said thec disc might be locked by some other process but there is no other way to lock it.i can see no buttons or anything.

View: https://i.imgur.com/o8POWOg.png

View: https://i.imgur.com/EpZ8m2X.png

View: https://i.imgur.com/amoAqZJ.png