you guys don't smile much....

Scott

zZero,

This used to be a very active newsgroup. Ed Neth and Ben Meyers
have carried this group in the past with their vast practical knowledge
and desire to help....but most everyone else seems to have deserted.
It's a shame, because I've learned so much from this group over the
last ten years. I still use it, because thankfully Ed and Ben are still
hanging in here and sharing their expertise.

Scott

zZero wrote:

> Just wonderin'........

Some of the diminished activity here is undoubtedly related to gateway's loss of
market share... Ben Myers

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 14:19:16 -0600, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:

>zZero,
>
>This used to be a very active newsgroup. Ed Neth and Ben Meyers
>have carried this group in the past with their vast practical knowledge
>and desire to help....but most everyone else seems to have deserted.
>It's a shame, because I've learned so much from this group over the
>last ten years. I still use it, because thankfully Ed and Ben are still
>hanging in here and sharing their expertise.
>
>Scott
>
>zZero wrote:
>
>> Just wonderin'........

The fact that a major internet service provider has dropped direct
usenet access doesn't help.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6873806/

Ben Myers wrote:
> Some of the diminished activity here is undoubtedly related to gateway's loss of
> market share... Ben Myers

Yeah the AOL users are sobbing and moaning on some of the groups I frequent.
They'll have to learn how to use real software--horrors!

In news:3600v8F4q4sf3U1@individual.net,
Edward J. Neth <ejn63@netscape.net> stated
| The fact that a major internet service provider has dropped direct
| usenet access doesn't help.
|
| http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6873806/

Loss of direct usenet access via AOL is no help, but the Dell newsgroup is at
least 5x as active as this one. Supports my speculation about market share.

.... Ben Myers

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 18:42:56 -0500, "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote:

>The fact that a major internet service provider has dropped direct
>usenet access doesn't help.
>
>http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6873806/
>

>Ben Myers wrote:
>> Some of the diminished activity here is undoubtedly related to gateway's loss of
>> market share... Ben Myers

Scott

Ben,

Would you believe I'm still hanging on to my Gateway stock?

Scott

Ben Myers wrote:

> Loss of direct usenet access via AOL is no help, but the Dell newsgroup is at
> least 5x as active as this one. Supports my speculation about market share.
>
> ... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 18:42:56 -0500, "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote:
>
> >The fact that a major internet service provider has dropped direct
> >usenet access doesn't help.
> >
> >http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6873806/
> >

> >Ben Myers wrote:
> >> Some of the diminished activity here is undoubtedly related to gateway's loss of
> >> market share... Ben Myers

Musta hit a nerve. I used to come here all the time (as o.phooey, or
even before that as someone else). I mostly left years ago when I went
AMD. Still had a GW in the house though. I would occassionally show up
here because of Ed and Ben and the civil atmosphere that remains in
this ng, a rare quality in usenet today (check out 24 hour helpdesk
support). Did much work on the GW recently. Reformatted and upgraded to
Win98se on the old box. Cheers to all. Julian
p.s. might pick up more traffic if the group renames to GW &
E-machines.

I'd consider a swap for some Enron, WorldCom, Calpine......

Scott

zZero:

Hey, it's not that bad. My Gateway stock is up over 20% from when I bought it
a few years ago. However, my Best Buy stock has doubled :)

Scott

I've greatly valued this group through the years, it helped me keep my
1995 P5-120 going. Undoubtedly it's both Gateway's shrunk market share
and the many alternatives to usenet that have lessened the traffic in
this group. For instance, I have found the forums at
broadbandreports.com more helpful than comp.dcom.xdsl for solving my DSL
problems. And as others have posted, great guys like Ed Neth and Ben
Myers have helped solve many of the common problems through the years,
which reduces the number of new questions being asked. I did finally
replace my old Gateway this Christmas with a bargain eMachines T2862, so
your post leads me to ask, can eMachines questions be posted in this
group since eMachines is now part of Gateway? Thanks,

John Hale

zZero wrote:
> Musta hit a nerve. I used to come here all the time (as o.phooey, or
> even before that as someone else). I mostly left years ago when I went
> AMD. Still had a GW in the house though. I would occassionally show up
> here because of Ed and Ben and the civil atmosphere that remains in
> this ng, a rare quality in usenet today (check out 24 hour helpdesk
> support). Did much work on the GW recently. Reformatted and upgraded to
> Win98se on the old box. Cheers to all. Julian
> p.s. might pick up more traffic if the group renames to GW &
> E-machines.

Why not? Nobody has started an eMachines news group yet. How does one start a
news group, anyway? ... Ben Myers