you really need to read this

munkey

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
i need some suggestions. i am planning on building a computer in the next couple of months. and i need some suggestions on which mainboard/chipset i should get for an AMD athlon or duron system. i would also like some prices if ya got them. any info would be appreciated

G

Well Munkey, it's a bit premature for you to be asking for suggestions when the purchase is so far away.(no offense) Especially now that we are on the cusp of new processors(AMD palomino), new memory(ddr Dram), and new chipsets (AMD 760 etc.). Anybody giving you a suggestion now would be doing you a disservice because things are bound to change very quickly in the next couple months. Prices change on a daily basis so any suggestions would be obsolete by the time you purchase parts.

My suggestion is keep coming to Tom's HS and find the latest news. Ask the same question about a week before your purchase than you will be making a more informed decision. As for prices go, check pricewatch- there more accurate than anybody on this forum.

munkey

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
well wusy all that i have as far as components are a couple of 486's and a cyrix166 OCed to 180. still not any where near acceptable numbers