Question you recommend i5 10400f or ryzen 5 3600 for gaming?

BrokenKB

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
btw is really neccesary buy a better cooler if i will never overclock them?

and what ram speed is better for each one?

sorry my english

Ziferous

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
btw is really neccesary buy a better cooler if i will never overclock them?

and what ram speed is better for each one?

sorry my english
If you want an intel series 10 CPU, you should definitely get a sufficient after-market cooler. RAM speed doesn't matter a great deal beyond 3600MHz, because most applications won't even need that much RAM speed, especially games. I do believe the 10400f has marginal performance improvements over the 3600 (meaning it has only a little bit better gaming performance), but the 3600 will probably perform better in multi-core applications like any adobe product or blender. Intel usually takes more money (expensive mobo and cooler) and has a more expensive upgrade path. AMD doesn't, it is much more budget-friendly because it is less expensive (cheaper than intel when buying a proficient mobo, comes with a good cooler if not overclocking) and has a cheaper upgrade path. I would recommend the 3600. I hope this helps.

InvalidError

Titan
RAM speed doesn't matter a great deal beyond 3600MHz, because most applications won't even need that much RAM speed
In the case of locked Intel CPUs on non-overclocking motherboards, super-fast RAM is pointless since memory support is limited to 2666MT/s. At most, get the fastest memory that has no meaningful price premium over 2666MT/s (3200MT/s often costs within $2 for 16GB) and then manually tighten timings to something likely much better than generic 2666MT/s RAM is typically capable of.

Reactions: RodroX and Olle P

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1-A)10400F is locked anyways and can't be manually overclocked.
1-B)Ryzen 3600 isn't worth manually overclocking, as it's performance enhancements lie elsewhere.

2-A)2666mhz, dual channel. It's really not worth pairing a 10400F with a Z490 motherboard and some 3200mhz ram.
2-B)3200-3733mhz, dual channel.

Reactions: RodroX

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Unless u get a real good deal on i5 10400f for me r5 3600 is the better cpu price wise always.
I totally agree!
An R5 3600, with stock cooler, B450 mobo and 3200MHz RAM is most probably the best cost/performance combo.
Then either
  • i5-10400F and B460 mobo has to be quite a bit cheaper to make up for the loss in performance, or
  • i5-10400F with Z490 mobo and a beefy cooler can't be significantly more expensive to make up for the little extra performance.

BrokenKB

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
If you want an intel series 10 CPU, you should definitely get a sufficient after-market cooler. RAM speed doesn't matter a great deal beyond 3600MHz, because most applications won't even need that much RAM speed, especially games. I do believe the 10400f has marginal performance improvements over the 3600 (meaning it has only a little bit better gaming performance), but the 3600 will probably perform better in multi-core applications like any adobe product or blender. Intel usually takes more money (expensive mobo and cooler) and has a more expensive upgrade path. AMD doesn't, it is much more budget-friendly because it is less expensive (cheaper than intel when buying a proficient mobo, comes with a good cooler if not overclocking) and has a cheaper upgrade path. I would recommend the 3600. I hope this helps.

look a this intel mobo, its at 100usd in my country, you think is worth or is a very low range mobo to pair with a i5 10400f and rx 580?

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B460M-PRO/Specification

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
look a this intel mobo, its at 100usd in my country, you think is worth or is a very low range mobo to pair with a i5 10400f and rx 580?

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B460M-PRO/Specification
Wow, that's a very bare motherboard. It should be fine in such a combo, but forget about an upgrade path with that until the next generational socket change from Intel.

Intel's budget offerings are just inferior to Ryzen 3000.
To even be able to revel in the power of the best gaming processors, you HAVE to spend big:
-a K SKU cpu
-Z-series motherboard
-a high end cooler to overclock, which is a must.
-a top tier gpu - no value priced models.
-also, you have to play at 1080p or lower.
You'd be doing yourself a disservice if you are unable to do the 1st four.

A 10600K, Z490 in the 200USD range for overclocking, a big air tower/240mm or bigger rad, and a 2080 Super... that's the bare minimum I'd consider for an Intel gaming setup.
If that's out of the question, Ryzen 3000 is your best option, mate.

AngelJin

Commendable
Jun 19, 2020
The stock cooler is fine...people run into problems with poorly ventilated cases and running PBO which is basically worthless on the 3600.
Since u build a gaming pc u will always try to change something to get more fps so an aftermarket cooler should always consider a buy in my opinion. I like my pc run cool but that is my taste i dont want over 60 on games ( i5 8600k noctua dh-15 cromax black 2 140 infront intake 1 140 exhaust rear and 2 top exhaust case is coolermaster h500p mesh white) and ryzen can go real hot. Dont forget summer is coming. I agree that all stock coolers depending what u are doing can be good or mediocre.

mraazx

Reputable
Jul 7, 2020
Both if these processor is neck to neck for gaming ! I wont go about productivity as your main purpose is gaming.
First of all you should definitely get what is best within your budget. Now you have to understand Ryzen and Intel works in totally different ways .
If you already have ram that is 2666 or less mhz and you are into competitive gaming you should go with i5 10400F
If you are going to buy new ram 3200 then Ryzen 3600 better option as well.
If you are really going to get i5 10400F get H410 or B460 Chip this will be good enough for next 3 years at least
Another thing about stock cooler is people says AMD is in 7nm latest tech have better stock cooler still intel's 14nm crapy stock cooler performs better in general that is very strange.
More or less if you are not happy with temp for both the cpu's you can get Deepcool Gammax GTE
So you can say as of stability Intel is still better option !