You'll Need 97GB Of Free Space For 'Middle-earth: Shadow Of War'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregory_3

Honorable
Oct 2, 2015
I think it's fair to say that gaming has gone from a high-school pastime to a serious adult indulgence --with a budget to match.

kookykrazee

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
When I saw that NBA2K18 was 50GB I was SHOCKED! Not surprised, overall, but it means that we are going back to when we used to set install apps and games on a secondary drive. I am heading that way after I upgrade my system drive from the Samsung 500GB to either a 1TB or 2TB later this year.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
So many whiners... You all want the best graphics, sound, big maps, etc etc but when it comes time to store it you cry?

Drives are cheep. Its the quality of the game you should worry about, its probably going to be garbage.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
What I really want is to see some reviews on the performance of these 4k textures at Ultra settings and in 4k and the truth in the audio quality for the streams. Size, sure it's annoying but if the performance is there then its warranted, otherwise, not so much.

Coinicidentally, 97-100GB for full install, $99 for gold edition from Steam. $1 per GB

When Half Life 1 came out back in 1998, the typical hard drive was 4GB and it took up 650MB of that. When HL2 came out in 2004, it required 4.5GB of storage space when the typical HDD was 40GB. Today's typical HDD is 1TB and this game takes up 97MB.

See where these numbers are going? For nearly two decades, AAA level games are requiring 10-15% of the average storage space of PCs. HDDs are so cheap these days anyway and every motherboard has at least 4 SATA connectors, so nobody has any excuse to not play today's games just because of limited storage space.

Now for consoles it gets more complicated because you can only upgrade to the maximum single 2.5" 9.5mm height drive that is available at the time (currently 4TB for the PS4). You can add an external USB drive, but the downside to that is the external drive has to go everywhere that PS4 goes as well.

I remember buying a PC in 95 and thinking "2GB is a ton of space, I will never fill it up". Now I have 85GB of music on my phones SD card and a decent HD video is almost 4GB.

The only problem is if games follow this we will hit a wall. HDD space has sort of hit a wall . 10TB is $340 on the cheap end with 12TB now out for $550ish. SSDs have hit a price wall and have not gone past 4TB but that costs $1500 on the cheap end for a Samsung 850 Evo, SATA, and $3400 for an Intel PCIe 3.0 drive.

SSDs have the potential to easily surpass HDDs in storage size, hell Seagate has the 60TB 3.5" SSD, but the NAND shortage stopped it in its tracks.

USAFRet

Titan

I recently took apart an old Win 3.1 laptop I had in the garage, and discovered a 130MB drive in it.
That's just barely 4 RAW pics out of my camera. 0.5 seconds on burst mode...:pt1cable:

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
Oh how it's always been.

Cassette's that could take an hour to load.
1 floppy, then 2, 3, 4.
1 CD, then 2, 3, 4 or more
1 DVD then 2, 3, 4 or more
If using BD's we'd be upto 2 or more now.
Honestly this really isn't a new thing. Annoying yes, but not new.

Status
Not open for further replies.