Younger brother is going into his first IT job, any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theminecraftaddict555

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014
My younger brother (like me) is trying to pursue an It career and is still in college studying related stuff to that career. Eventually, he got hired as a computer technician as his first job at a local computer repair shop (requiring no professional experience). The shop consists of 3 other experienced computer technicians and he is to start in a couple of days. My brother has doesn't have extensive experience in troubleshooting & computers besides in his computer repair class and has repaired some computers outside of that class. His "outside" experience of repairing & troubleshooting desktop pcs is limited to changing out defective gpus, case fans, ram, & some virus cleanups. In terms of laptops, while less familiar in troubleshooting & repairing them, he has changed out batteries and replaced hard-drives.

Luckily during the interview, the employers knew about his "limited experience" and still offered to hire him anyway & offered to train him in all required positions at the expense of lower pay. Any advice and tips for him to succeed in his job?

Note: I am working in an it position but not as a computer technician (not yet at least) but rather technical call support & help desk (which is more about remote help, processing tickets, and recovering forgotten passwords for users).

Depends on the type of work he wants to get into down the line.
All and all, I wouldnt really equate a computer repair shop to IT in any way other than customer service.

So first thing to do (besides whatever job requirements there are) is to find out exactly what each of those other techs knows and how they got to where they are in life. Once you establish what they know, you can potentially learn valuable skills, but that knowledge is not openly shared normally, so you have to get invested.

Overall though, its the people you might meet, not the repair job itself, that will net any sort of IT experience beyond basic repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.