Question Your CPU runs really hot? Check what I did and how to fix :)

Oct 18, 2019
Link to my results, temps, clocks etc - View: https://imgur.com/gallery/ADoeBFr

So, I own ROG STRIX SCAR 2 (i7 8750H, RTX 2070, 16GB DDR4, 512/1TB SSD/HDD
After a while i realized my CPU is reaching up to 95-100 degrees celsius...
What i did to try prevent that 1. Cleaning from dust 2. Repasting 3. Undervolting and guess what? ALL OF THIS DIDN'T HELPED so what i did to prevents temps from 95 before to now 75 max is UNDERCLOCKING the i7 8750H from 4.1ghz to 3.0ghz and overclocking my gpu... check all pictures as well as explanations...

FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME IF U NEED SOME HELP

Last edited by a moderator:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Few things that might help instead of underclocking.

Elevate the laptop so vents underneath have more air. A cooling pad is recommended for these performance laptops.

See if you're able to use speedfan or msi afterburner to change fan curve and rpm so fans are spinning faster and earlier. Laptops don't usually work with these programs but some have worked. If not, check bios for similar settings.

Oct 18, 2019
Few things that might help instead of underclocking.

Elevate the laptop so vents underneath have more air. A cooling pad is recommended for these performance laptops.

See if you're able to use speedfan or msi afterburner to change fan curve and rpm so fans are spinning faster and earlier. Laptops don't usually work with these programs but some have worked. If not, check bios for similar settings.

Thank you for your respond!
Okay so I think ASUS made biggest mistake ever on a gaming laptop - they cutted the air holes on totally wrong place (instead of cutting under the fans they cutted on both sides like 4-5 cm from fans so the fans cant breath directly from outside...

I used Cooler Master's cooling pad dont know the name but the one with 1 huge fan 1400rpm with angle adjustment and it didnt give me 1 celsius better so yeah i removed it.

ASUS ARMOURY CRATE let me adjust silent balanced and turbo mode and also manual mode in which i can choose how much power fans will use in % so its alwawys on 100% during hardcore gaming... (if it is on turbo fans are doing only 75% of its potentiall.

So yeah what i wanna say after all this is that UNDERVOLTING CACHE/CORE, REPASTING, COOLING PAD, CLEANING didnt help but what did HUGE diffirence is underclock from 4.1ghz to 3.0ghz and i am really happy cuz i didnt lost to much performance like 5% maybe max and got insane temps for "slim" gaming laptop

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Look at adjustable cooling pads with multiple movable fans to focus air flow or use your existing cooling pad and stick sponge strips to block any air gaps if there are any to force all air up and not escape out the sides.

Oct 18, 2019
Look at adjustable cooling pads with multiple movable fans to focus air flow or use your existing cooling pad and stick sponge strips to block any air gaps if there are any to force all air up and not escape out the sides.

Do you really think that cooling pad can help that much??
I really dont belive that it can reduce temps from 95-100 down up to 70-75 without underclock...
Whats your opinion on that?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I use a cooling bad on my modded N64 with sponge strips covering gaps and i feel a lot more air through the cartridge slot as no air is dispersed outward. It'll help, but how much, won't know until you try it.

If it doesn't help, consult Asus for a service, it shouldn't be getting this hot and cooling system may be failing.

Oct 18, 2019
I use a cooling bad on my modded N64 with sponge strips covering gaps and i feel a lot more air through the cartridge slot as no air is dispersed outward. It'll help, but how much, won't know until you try it.

If it doesn't help, consult Asus for a service, it shouldn't be getting this hot and cooling system may be failing.

Please check pictures what my dad and me saw after we opened laptop after straitght 5 months of usage (around 10 hours per day)
Those pictures are like horror movie...

View: https://imgur.com/a/UiOusLw

After that we cleaned everything to perfection and repastde laptop using Arctic Silver MX-4 2019 edition thermal compound (firstly we wanted to use liquid metal but its not suitable on this model due to plastic-silicon thats sticked around the chip

Oct 18, 2019
U wanna say that its gonna be hard instead of liquid in 200 hours? If yes thats definitely not true!
For me No1 is thermal grizzly which thermal compounds i have been used for years in my old system and everything was fine. The thing is that our shop in my country didnt have at that moment Thermal Grizzly compounds so i choosed Arctic Silver MX-4

Ofc i cleaned my old paste, i am not that crazy to repaste on old paste

Oct 18, 2019
I am still standing behind what i said up there in this post (only way to chill done i7 8750H is undervolt+underclock+GPU overclock (i pulled out rly nice additional frames from mine 115W full fat rtx 2070
Cuz you will probably never notice loss in performance (at least i didnt) 3-5% in loss is like nothing for me so yeah i did that