Your current ink refillable deskjet printer is?

Hobbit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Okay, what I would like to know is what inkjet/deskjet printer do you personally use that you refill with ink from an ink kit with syringes and the ink bottles (the cheapest way to refill). I am only interested in your printer if you refill from bottles of ink with the syringes. If you must refill with off brand cartridges I am not interested since although that is cheaper it is not nearly as cheap as refilling from bottle of ink via syringes. I use the Epson Stylus 900 and 880. The reason I ask is that both of my printers that I can do this with are no longer in productions and the new printers on the market now mostly using some sort of ink refilling prevention measure to prevent the customers from saving money while making the printer manufacturers plenty of cash. I am afraid that in the future we will not be able to purchase a printer that can be refilled at all.

Balls, said the Queen if I had them I would be king!

goncrazi

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2002
Refilling cartridges is foolish, especially on an Epson printer! If you clog the printhead with inferior ink and have to replace the printer, have you really saved any money?

Also, your printer drivers are written assuming that you are using your printer's specific ink carts. If the formulation of your cheap ink is even slightly off, your prints will not look like they should.

If you'd rather, the printer companies can lower ink prices and raise entry-level printer costs to back over $500. Don't fault the companies for thrying to make a profit. It's what they're in business for.

Hobbit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Obviously your an employee of a printer company or a retard. Anyone who refills will think so... Either way your opinion in this matter falls to the later.

Balls, said the Queen if I had them I would be king!

M39shadow

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2003
Actually he is right about refills. Ink cartridges like everything else have a useful life span. Contacts wear out, and to some extent the ink is corrosive, some more so than less. I have personally never seen any refill inks that perform as well as the factory stuff. Blacks aren't and etc.

Epson printers have seperate print heads and tanks. Sure you may get away with it for a while, but sooner or later you'll damage or plug those print heads. Then its a new printer or a repair job. You may scoff and say that I'm wrong but I know this for fact.

Bahumut

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
I'd like to remind posters that hobbit asked for the name of a printer with refillable cartidges, not a lecture on why he shouldn't use them. While I agree that refilling cartridges is risky, that's not the point of this post. If you can't offer an answer or suggest a good alternative, don't post.

Sorry Hobbit, I don't know of any new printers that you can refill. The last one I saw was an epson like yours. Assuming nobody else posts, you may want to consider a newer cannon or an newer epson. Generally the more expensive the printer, the cheaper the cost of printing. (I'd buy a laserjet except I'd have to sell my car to get one)

Pain is the realization of your own weakness.

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
If you are set on refilling you should probably go with an HP deskjet. The printhead is on the cartridge, so you can usually refill them a couple of times, and if the printhead gets clogged you can just buy a new one. The Cannon print head is on the carriage, but doesn't seem to clog as easily as an Epson.

I do work at a computer/printer service shop. I'm all for refilling HP cartridges, but I would never refill an Epson or use third party ink for an Epson. Most of the epsons that come in with clogged heads or with ink leaked everywhere have generic ink in them. It ends up costing $50 for new ink cartridges, and $55 labor to clean them every 6 months. If the carriage has to be replaced that's another $80-$120 for the carriage.

And yes, the newer Epsons pretty much all have a chip that counts how many drops of ink have been used, and once it reaches it's limit the cartridge is done.