Your Experience with Windows 10

Page 75 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vince77

Prominent
Aug 5, 2020
My experience has been great so far with Windows 10. Initially, I was not liking it because of its auto-updating feature but later I figured out how to disable it. And there was this one time when I couldn't defrag my drive and I thought it was windows 10 fault so I decided to switch back to windows 8 but I realized it is a common issue and many people face it.
So yeah I think it is a pretty decent OS.

Sep 8, 2020
I'm using it on PC, and I think it's wonderful. it's easy-to-navigate, builds a great experience, and has a modern UI.
preview is a little bit slow, which will be fine in the final version. and it has some basic problems like clicks not working, but again, will be solved.
the new browser is awesome. it's modern, pretty, works nicely when downloading files, and has two shiny features I personally loved:
  • annotation: you can annotate your web pages easily and quickly. and then share it with your team, let's say.
  • distraction-free reading mode: just deletes all unnecessary things and you can read in relax.
it also has an ability to save pages offline to read later, but I haven't checked it yet.
Cortana, well, it's cool. I have practiced a little with it, and she understands my words reasonably well. and some times I asked her simple questions, she answered properly. but when I asked her to go to hell because she couldn't understand my language(spanish)
notification center seems nice too. but in the preview it's buggy, so I couldn't use it in fact.
In general, i think Microsoft has done something which should have be done years ago: PAY ATTENTION TO THE FEELINGS. people buy products giving them a professional, modern, good feeling; and in my POV, Microsoft has done a great job in this with windows 10.
These are my personal views on Windows 10
I hope this is informative.

Reactions: Dean0919

PDN

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
Windows 10 is a good OS. I don't think removing the control panel will be an advancement unless they change something else to help find features.
Defender has definitely improved nd caught 2 trojans on my machine.
I wish they id not join up with MBAM but I just run MBAM as stand alone anyway.
I wish Office would keep OCR for all its suites.
Windows Mail could really stand some attention as it has no security and is barebones.
I give Windows 2004 a B on a scale from A as tops to F being a flunk.
I have an Apple phone and it spoils me. If I had the cash, I would drift to an iPad.
But, for now it is doing a pretty solid job.

Sep 5, 2020
The initial free version of windows 10 way back a few years ago was disgusting, now I got used to it and it's fine. I still feel windows 7 was most user-friendly than windows 10

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
After traveling all the way from 3.1 to windows 10 over the years... 10 is the best I've used to date. I was a bit hesitant to take the leap from 7 especially after trying 8 (epic fail) but I'm glad I did. It's very stable, well optimized, good for gaming and has plenty of features. It don't hang or lag or require a reboot after throwing resource hungry apps at it. The only downside is the few times it's restarted to install updates when I was in the middle of something! For that it gets 8/10 from me.

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
After traveling all the way from 3.1 to windows 10 over the years... 10 is the best I've used to date. I was a bit hesitant to take the leap from 7 especially after trying 8 (epic fail) but I'm glad I did. It's very stable, well optimized, good for gaming and has plenty of features. It don't hang or lag or require a reboot after throwing resource hungry apps at it. The only downside is the few times it's restarted to install updates when I was in the middle of something! For that it gets 8/10 from me.
Weird, it should't. Mine whenever is installing updates and is done, doesn't restart. You also have an option to pick the time when you want it to reboot your PC or just do what you're doing and when it's shut down time, choose "install updates and shutdown". Additionally, if you go in settings and updates you have an option there "restart this device as soon as possible when a restart is required to install an update. Windows will display a notice before the restart, and the device must be on and plugged in". This option is turned off by default if I'm not mistaken, well, at least in my PC. And also you can pause updates. So, I think Microsoft gave us a plenty options in Windows 10 to avoid forceful restarts due to updates like it was in previous Windows versions.

Reactions: King_V

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
Weird, it should't. Mine whenever is installing updates and is done, doesn't restart. You also have an option to pick the time when you want it to reboot your PC or just do what you're doing and when it's shut down time, choose "install updates and shutdown". Additionally, if you go in settings and updates you have an option there "restart this device as soon as possible when a restart is required to install an update. Windows will display a notice before the restart, and the device must be on and plugged in". This option is turned off by default if I'm not mistaken, well, at least in my PC. And also you can pause updates. So, I think Microsoft gave us a plenty options in Windows 10 to avoid forceful restarts due to updates like it was in previous Windows versions.

It's only done it a few times. To be honest it did keep requesting a restart, sometimes for a couple of days and I kept choosing remind me in a few hours, then remind me tomorrow, and eventually it just restarted automatically. I will check the settings.

Thanks.

Theresa N

Admirable
Dec 10, 2019
I've used windows since windows 1.0. Windows 10 isn't all that bad, except for the data collection. The interface was better with windows 7. It does a whole lot more than the early windows and the various alternatives at the time. I still have a lot of nostalgia over the early days of personal computing.

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
It's only done it a few times. To be honest it did keep requesting a restart, sometimes for a couple of days and I kept choosing remind me in a few hours, then remind me tomorrow, and eventually it just restarted automatically. I will check the settings.

Thanks.
Maybe you have an old version/build of Windows 10, because I have a latest build and there are plenty of options and it never restarted automatically. It even has an option "change active hours" and if you go there, you'll see that it gives you an option to enable automatically adjust active hours which means, Windows won't automatically restart the device during that time. Check those two articles: Manage updates in Windows 10 & Set the Windows 10 update schedule, and when it restarts the PC.

You're welcome.

Last edited:

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
Maybe you have an old version/build of Windows 10, because I have a latest build and there are plenty of options and it never restarted automatically. It even has an option "change active hours" and if you go there, you'll see that it gives you an option to enable automatically adjust active hours which means, Windows won't automatically restart the device during that time. Check those two articles: Manage updates in Windows 10 & Set the Windows 10 update schedule, and when it restarts the PC.

You're welcome.

Yea it was an older build that was installed quite some time ago. I have a new pc now with the latest build downloaded directly from Microsoft so I'll see what happens. I'll have a look at the settings when I'm home.

Thanks again.

Mikeybooks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I like Windows 10 pretty well. Two observations.
  1. "My Computer" really is "This Computer." It belongs to Microsoft... not to me. They change my preferred programs for music, photos, PDF, browsing and I have to keep changing them back.
  2. Settings are all over the place instead of a well organized menu. The fact that you can search for what you need is generally a great work around

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
Windows10 to me feels like a dumpster fire growing in size and each time you visit it in the morning, a new type of toxic smell burns your senses, but you cannot predict which one it'll be.

Reactions: Mtop
Windows10 to me feels like a dumpster fire growing in size and each time you visit it in the morning, a new type of toxic smell burns your senses, but you cannot predict which one it'll be.
That's nonsense. While there are certainly some areas that could use improvement, the VAST MAJORITY of problems experienced by most users on Windows 10 are self inflicted. You are of course welcome to try the options to Windows 10, like, well, that's right, there aren't any. LOL.

At least, not any that make sense or are even remotely equivalent in capability for most users but especially for anybody who is more than a very, very casual gamer.

Nov 26, 2020
I have been using Windows 10 since its release. All I can say is that this software is very easy to use and looks better than the previous version of Windows. In my opinion all processes start loading faster which will greatly facilitate the work on the computer

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
That's nonsense. While there are certainly some areas that could use improvement, the VAST MAJORITY of problems experienced by most users on Windows 10 are self inflicted. You are of course welcome to try the options to Windows 10, like, well, that's right, there aren't any. LOL.

At least, not any that make sense or are even remotely equivalent in capability for most users but especially for anybody who is more than a very, very casual gamer.
Windows 10 is so unstable, slow and beginner-beginner-beginner friendly compared to linux that I barely use windows 10 anymore.

Windows 10 is so unstable, slow and beginner-beginner-beginner friendly compared to linux that I barely use windows 10 anymore.
That's YOUR opinion, and individual opinions don't represent proof, nor do they countermand the contrary opinions of thousands of others, most of whom are power level users that are not sheeple. They are also people who've used both Windows and Linux extensively and have broadly agreed that while Linux might some day be viable alternative, right now it clearly (Still) is not. It's lacks support for WAY too many common applications and games. End of story.

Reactions: Dean0919 and King_V

USAFRet

Titan
Unstable?
The last time I has a Windows 10 crash was....I have no idea.
Across multiple systems of widely varied hardware levels.

If you don't wish to use Windows, that is fine.
But at least be a bit real about its "problems".

I have been using Windows 10 since its release. All I can say is that this software is very easy to use and looks better than the previous version of Windows. In my opinion all processes start loading faster which will greatly facilitate the work on the computer
It's really not a question of "what Windows looks like", because there are a variety of shell modifiers and tweaking tools that will allow you to make most aspects of it look however you want, and bend the shell behavior to your desires as well. What is MOST important is the fact that it has FAR more going on for it "behind the scenes" in areas like driver support, security and support for a much broader range of codecs, APIs, applications and platforms, as well as being the just about the only legitimately supported platform for the majority of future hardware releases on the consumer side of things.

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
Unstable?
The last time I has a Windows 10 crash was....I have no idea.
Across multiple systems of widely varied hardware levels.

If you don't wish to use Windows, that is fine.
But at least be a bit real about its "problems".
I agree with this. I also don't remember when my Windows 10 crashed last time. It is very stable OS and I would dare to say more stable than any previous Windows versions.
ikernelpro4 also mentioned that the every update makes things worse.... I never experienced anything like that. I don't remember when last time Windows update messed up things. I think it's trendy among some Linux users to bash Windows and start accusations towards it without any proof. I've seen this tendency among Linux users (not all of them though). I tried Linux several times. It's not bad, but it's nowhere near as user friendly as Windows and you still need to use Terminal at some degree. Personally I had more problems in Linux than in Windows. This is my own experience and opinion about Linux. Anyway, I'll stop here talking about it, so we don't digress and make it Windows vs Linux.

Reactions: Endre
I have to say I prefer the Linux approach to updates.

Windows 10 whinges about their inability to install updates because of a lack of space in C: If 10 hasn't got the sense to look elsewhere there are other drives with adequate space.

Linux just leaves a increasingly growing a list quietly in the taskbar.

I've never experienced that problem. Of course, in this day and age storage is cheap and if you don't have enough storage space on your primary drive to not have this problem then my suggestion to anybody would be that they need to either clean the drive up or get a bigger drive. My primary drive is only a 250GB SSD, and I have a crap ton of programs installed, and still have plenty of space and have not ever seen Windows whinge about a lack of space on my system. IDK, seems like a limited issue to me.

USAFRet

Titan
I've never experienced that problem. Of course, in this day and age storage is cheap and if you don't have enough storage space on your primary drive to not have this problem then my suggestion to anybody would be that they need to either clean the drive up or get a bigger drive. My primary drive is only a 250GB SSD, and I have a crap ton of programs installed, and still have plenty of space and have not ever seen Windows whinge about a lack of space on my system. IDK, seems like a limited issue to me.
I did. Once.

Of course, that was on a 32GB eMMC drive in a little Asus Transformer...lol

Reactions: King_V
Status
Not open for further replies.