Your Experience with Windows 10

Page 76 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine is a 500TB and it has some space but I ought to strip out some older accounts and correspondence. Windows itself is the largest and most greedy of course.

Last week, my Mighty Atom - a Asus EeePC 904HD, quietly closed down after fifteen years.
I bought one for £40 on eBay and this morning is helping me write this. My old HDD is in it and will work a couple of hours in the early morning until it dies on me.

Needless to say it doesn't run on W10 but Mint19..

Last edited:

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
I've never experienced that problem. Of course, in this day and age storage is cheap and if you don't have enough storage space on your primary drive to not have this problem then my suggestion to anybody would be that they need to either clean the drive up or get a bigger drive. My primary drive is only a 250GB SSD, and I have a crap ton of programs installed, and still have plenty of space and have not ever seen Windows whinge about a lack of space on my system. IDK, seems like a limited issue to me.
I even have less than 250. My primary SSD is 120GB. I have there only Windows and a few programs I use: Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, gimp, inskape, blender and some small softwares and I still have enough space: Used space 72GB, free space 38GB. All the rest large content like games or videos are on my HDD disks.

Mar 10, 2020
Do you really use Cortana?:unsure: I know that it’s there to use. But I really don’t. I mean weather, time of day. Cmon when I do use it. It just seems awkward.

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
You BETTER not! :LOL:

Apple-Siri-Jealous-Microsoft-Cortana.jpg

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
Unstable?
The last time I has a Windows 10 crash was....I have no idea.
Across multiple systems of widely varied hardware levels.

If you don't wish to use Windows, that is fine.
But at least be a bit real about its "problems".
Seems just about right.
For many people windows 10 became better with each update and for many people windows 10 became worse with each update.

Technology-wise Windows 10 is pretty amazing if you look at the amount of lines of code.
But worst of all, on top of all of those problems, Windows 10 has the worst battery life of all OS's.
My notebook boots into Linux by default due to the enormous battery difference. It's quite amazing how a different OS can make a gigantic difference., booting windows 10 up is so resource-heavy that it chips a few percent of battery level after a few minutes.

I am not saying windows 10 is completely crap (it almost is...), for gaming and many other software applications, they only or greatly run on Windows.
But battery-wise a good/pre-configured Linux Distro gives you approx. 3-4x more battery life (if you consider a best-case 2h on Windows).

for many people windows 10 became worse with each update.

Who, and where, are these "many people", because I do this every day, across multiple forums, and I have yet to encounter them? A few people, sure. There are always a few people though, on every version of Windows (Or any other platform for that matter), that have problems and often it's not even the fault of the OS in the end or to begin with. If you have very old hardware or you've gone though a number of major spring and fall updates without having done a clean install, OR if you've NEVER done a clean install and are riding some version of Windows 10 that is an advanced iteration of an upgrade from an earlier version of Windows, then those are far more likely causes of problems than the OS itself.

As far as Windows 10 itself goes, there ISN'T any widespread "for many people Windows 10 became worse with each update" types of issues. If there were, every tech rag out there would be shoving it down our throats, and they aren't. Short of a few problems with things like unwanted updates in some cases (Which is probably more a case of "I don't want this" than it is "this is a problem" except for in the cases of some enterprise or business users with older applications that could stop working due to some updates) I have really not seen ANY signs of this, at all. Whatever degree this exists to, if at all, is marginally small and likely not a result of the OS but of other things.

Reactions: Dean0919 and King_V

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
Who, and where, are these "many people", because I do this every day, across multiple forums, and I have yet to encounter them? A few people, sure. There are always a few people though, on every version of Windows (Or any other platform for that matter), that have problems and often it's not even the fault of the OS in the end or to begin with. If you have very old hardware or you've gone though a number of major spring and fall updates without having done a clean install, OR if you've NEVER done a clean install and are riding some version of Windows 10 that is an advanced iteration of an upgrade from an earlier version of Windows, then those are far more likely causes of problems than the OS itself.

As far as Windows 10 itself goes, there ISN'T any widespread "for many people Windows 10 became worse with each update" types of issues. If there were, every tech rag out there would be shoving it down our throats, and they aren't. Short of a few problems with things like unwanted updates in some cases (Which is probably more a case of "I don't want this" than it is "this is a problem" except for in the cases of some enterprise or business users with older applications that could stop working due to some updates) I have really not seen ANY signs of this, at all. Whatever degree this exists to, if at all, is marginally small and likely not a result of the OS but of other things.
Thank you for replying.
First of all my stance on battery life is crystal (blue) clear and it's impossible for windows to even come close.

Secondly I am updating windows often and I am def. not running on older / legacy / broken / problematic hardware.
And I will def. not perform a clean install of Windows simply because its a bigger update. That's just backwards.

On Linux you don't do any of that. You update and upgrade and you're done.
EDIT: I should add that I've done clean installs in the past. Still same. After 1703 it all went downhill

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you for replying.
First of all my stance on battery life is crystal (blue) clear and it's impossible for windows to even come close.

Secondly I am updating windows often and I am def. not running on older / legacy / broken / problematic hardware.
And I will def. not perform a clean install of Windows simply because its a bigger update. That's just backwards.

On Linux you don't do any of that. You update and upgrade and you're done.
EDIT: I should add that I've done clean installs in the past. Still same. After 1703 it all went downhill
And there is no need to do a "clean install of Windows simply because its a bigger update".

The only time I might do a fresh install is in conjunction with a major hardware change.

Well, of course everybody has the right to do as they see fit. All I can say is that given the number of times I've seen people have the exact same problems after a major Windows update that I've seen time and time again after a major hardware change, then in light of that I have to treat both of them as the same scenario IF there are problems present. If there are not, then obviously it doesn't apply, but if there are, then it's pretty much indisputable. No problems prior to major update, problems after major update, problems gone after clean install, equals treat major updates exactly the same as major hardware change if there are problems afterwards. Seems fairly straight forward to me.

PDN

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
Windows 10 is fast and ok with my Acer MB z390 and I think the OS is only as good a the PC behind it.

When I clicked the link for this site in my mail it brought me to the forum only not to give an opinion about Windows Ten. Perhaps that was only an error?

bancroft

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 25, 2021
I have a desktop computer with a win7 system, and my laptop with a win10 system, I personally think win10 is very good to use, I like it very much.

Windows XP is worse than Windows 7.

It depends on what you do with the machine, technically speaking the XP is not worse than any other OS. The real problem is that software and hardware makers stopped making updates for it.

XP doesn’t even have the SSD trimming option!

SSD can survive without TRIM command, my XP machine already uses a 120GB SSD for years without problem.

Endre

Reputable
It depends on what you do with the machine, technically speaking the XP is not worse than any other OS. The real problem is that software and hardware makers stopped making updates for it.

SSD can survive without TRIM command, my XP machine already uses a 120GB SSD for years without problem.

Endre

Reputable

Yes. It can survive.
But without the ability to remove the collected garbage, it won’t run at its full potential. It’ll be slower.

Reactions: Dean0919
Endre said, "Windows 10 or Linux are the way to go!" And it was the way and went two years. Windows 10 and Mint 19.1. 10 on a HP STream and Mint has run on an over fifteen years old Asus Eee PC.

Neither systems is up-to-date, Ibut daresay if an update is necessary at least to an OS twice a week, it must be a fairly unstable system.

Endre

Reputable
Endre said, "Windows 10 or Linux are the way to go!" And it was the way and went two years. Windows 10 and Mint 19.1. 10 on a HP STream and Mint has run on an over fifteen years old Asus Eee PC.

Neither systems is up-to-date, Ibut daresay if an update is necessary at least to an OS twice a week, it must be a fairly unstable system.

Windows 10 was notorious, a few years ago, for its errors and bugs caused by updates.
But it got better lately, as Microsoft became more cautious with their update service.
Also, Windows 10 supports certain features that no other previous edition of Windows does.

Reactions: Dean0919
The discussion is largely moot these days. It's like having a vehicle that requires leaded gas. Sure, you can use newer unleaded gas and add a lead additive so that it is not entirely obsolete, but unless there is a very good reason for that vehicle, such as having classic value, for a daily driver you are obviously much better off with ANYTHING newer for a multitude and variety of reasons.

Can the old vehicle work? Sure.

Does it make a lot of sense to try and use a vehicle that is so old it requires leaded gas, as a daily driver. Nope. Not really, although there may be a FEW exceptions to that out there.

Windows 10 vs "all other older Windows OSes" isn't much different. Other OSes can work, with specific work arounds or the willingness to lack some more modern features, but it's definitely not the better option unless it's a machine that simply will not adequately support or be supported BY Windows 10. Anymore, that's really seriously the exception though, and not the rule.

I'm not buying most of these "waa, waa" Windows 10 complainers. I've put it on more than 50 machines, half of which were originally Windows Vista or 7 machines, plus a few that were originally XP, and aside from early versions of 10 which we all know was a growing pains situation, there have been no deal breaker type problems with ANY of these machines. Seems to me that some people simply LOOK for any reason to complain about anything that isn't their old, comfortable OS they've grown stagnant with.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Leaded gasoline is still quite prevalent in the aircraft industry, for both old and new aircraft. Higher altitude still makes the anti-knock, and extreme octane ratings, advantages of lead useful. Don't go licking any airport runways would be my suggestion.

I will keep griping about the changes to the system settings and other applets that keep getting worse in terms of usability. Not sure why both aren't left in place and the option to toggle between them. Weirdest thing I can think of was the change from "Network" to "Ethernet" between 7 and 8.1 had a few scripts blow up because they changed the name in the registry as well. I also miss being able to change the 3D Canvas color options, used to be able to make Office products have something other than eyebleed white.

Status
Not open for further replies.