Your Next Laptop Keyswitch? Kailh, Perhaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
I'd love some mechanical keys on a laptop, but, good luck selling that these days when a laptop thicker than a pinky finger is considered ancient. :D

Hah, true. But there are still quite a few of those beastly gaming lappies out there that have plenty of real estate for these kinds of switches.

Or, wouldn't it be cool to have a slightly thicker laptop for productivity that had such a keyboard?

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
I would personally not mind seeing someone trying to make a mechanical key type cover for something like the Surface Pro 4 (maybe 5, as we're getting pretty close to that one, I guess?). The best of all worlds in a true all-in-one? :D

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
Any proper gamer will use a gaming laptop as a slim desktop then attach a desktop keyboard, mice and big monitor.

That sounds intensely stupid, if you have that giant setup you'd be better off with a desktop. It would even be cheaper, even if you also pick up a cheap notebook to use on the go.

jlake3

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
The laptop switches look a bit like Cherry ML switches, which I don't believe ever gained any traction outside of commercial/industrial use. Not sure how the actuation force and travel compares between the two, but it will be interesting to see what happens with them.

10basetom

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
I'm curious to see if they've managed to keep the weight down, as all mechanical keyboards I've used are super heavy.

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Any proper gamer will use a gaming laptop as a slim desktop then attach a desktop keyboard, mice and big monitor.

That sounds intensely stupid, if you have that giant setup you'd be better off with a desktop. It would even be cheaper, even if you also pick up a cheap notebook to use on the go.

Indeed... I've been through a few countries the past couple of months, and I have broken two keys on my Alienware 18 - so I've been forced to carry a Razer keyboard around with me - its almost half the weight of the machine! Terrible situation...

And I prefer gaming on the laptop keyboard, compared to the external mechanical keyboard, if for nothing else, the lack of noise the laptop keyboard has...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS