[SOLVED] Your Opinion on My Budget Gaming Build

Jul 8, 2020
Dear All ya Builders out there,

I just completed an important project and wanted to treat myself with a self-build a gaming PC. I have zero experience building a PC so I just use the "How to Ask for New Build or Upgrade Advice" format:

Approximate Purchase Date: In the next 14 days.

Budget Range: up to 600 CHF after shipping. (I already have the GPU)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, office work, programming, and a little bit of multimedia applications

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Fresh build with the following components: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KYMr8J

I've already got the GPU, so that one's fixed.

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: digitec.ch

Parts Preferences: AMD Processor, nvidia GPU

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Why Are You Upgrading: First Build after only Gaming with a bad Laptop

I am very grateful if someone with experience could give me some advice if my hardware choices are fine, if some parts are bottlenecks or why over-designed.

Thank you for reading and your time.

Solution
For a 1080p gaming experience it will hold nicely, everything is in the low-tier budget range so I assume you won't be gaming that often, but when you do this setup should be able to hold it's own no problem.
My only concerns are that you have 1 8GB RAM stick. That's a big-no-no in the gaming/PC DIY world. You get most performance when you have 2 sticks (this gives you dual channel performance) which will greatly improve data throughput of your RAM. So get 1 more 8GB, it'd help you when using Windows as well since Windows uses 2GB straight from the get-go.
My next concern is the CPU cooler, the 3600 won't get super hot but the stock fan it comes with will be lacking when push-comes to shove. I don't see you doing much overclocking with...

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
No bottlenecks as far as I can tell.

I would not choose MSI for the motherboard as their reliability is poor and support is patchy at best. I would pick Asus or Gigabyte for the motherboard.

You don't list a CPU cooler which makes me think you want to use the stock cooler with the CPU. If so, this is a bad idea. Invest $20 in something like an arctic freezer with 2x 120mm fans.

Other than that looks like it will be a great PC.

For a 1080p gaming experience it will hold nicely, everything is in the low-tier budget range so I assume you won't be gaming that often, but when you do this setup should be able to hold it's own no problem.
My only concerns are that you have 1 8GB RAM stick. That's a big-no-no in the gaming/PC DIY world. You get most performance when you have 2 sticks (this gives you dual channel performance) which will greatly improve data throughput of your RAM. So get 1 more 8GB, it'd help you when using Windows as well since Windows uses 2GB straight from the get-go.
My next concern is the CPU cooler, the 3600 won't get super hot but the stock fan it comes with will be lacking when push-comes to shove. I don't see you doing much overclocking with this CPU (If you want to overclock it you should go for the 3600X variant) and if you don't really care about overclocking then stick with the stock cooler for the time being until you feel like you want to venture into that PC superiority complex inducing field.

Solution

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Single channel memory for a ryzen and a cheap power supply for a 3060 aren't nice combinations.

Either go for 2x4GB or 2x8GB for the memory, ryzen really needs dual channel to show its whole potential.

If the CPU is the computer's brain then the power supply is its heart, and you don't want your PC-dude to die of a heart attack the moment you ask him to do some cardio work. It's better to wait for a couple more weeks or until you can afford a better PSU than cheap out like that.

You need a case with a decent air intake for those parts and that one doesn't has it, look for something with a front mesh and less glass and plastic (materials that trap heat).

Edit: replace that maybe in overclocking for a no, that mobo doesn't has any VRM heatsinks on it, def not made for overclocking. Stock HSF will be enough if the case has enough airflow.

You can do better.

Consider the I5-11400f instead.
Here is a review:
Most any MATX B560 motherboard will be great, but even any 500 series chipset will do.

Intel does not depend on fast ram for performance, 2666 speed will be fine.
But, do consider buying a 2 x 8gb ram kit up front. 8gb may not be enough nd adding ram later does not always work.

A 1tb ssd is excellent.

If you are budget constrained, why not defer on the HDD untill you actually need the space. It is easy to add storage later.

Corsair VS power supplies are hot highly regarded.
Tier 5/6 on this list:
550w is ok for a quality unit. You might go 650w which usually does not cost much more.
A quality psu is a long term investment, they do not go obsolete easily.
Look for a unit with a 5-10 year warranty.

The case is ok of you like rgb bling.
It might get annoying after a while.

TRENDING THREADS