Question "Your PC/Device needs to be repaired" while installing Windows 10

aq88

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015
I want to install a fresh copy of Windows 10 on my custom built desktop but for some reasons, I cannot. First of all, I get this error when the desktop boots up. It states:

"Your PC/Device needs to be repaired.

The Operating system could not be loaded because a critical system driver is missing or contains errors.

File: \windows\system32\Drivers\ntfs.sys

Error code: 0xc0000221

---- some other information ---- "

The SSD on which I want to install Windows 10 has nothing on it, so I do not get it, why it is looking for driver(s) in stystem32. If I press Enter to try again, I get the same error. If I keep pressing Enter multiple times, finally it gets to Windows 10 installation (from the USB key). Also, when I select 'Disable Driver signature enforcement', it boots to the Windows installation.

Now, when I do 'Install now' and then select my SSD, it fails at the second step after 'copying files' step with a BSOD "KMode_Exception_Not_Handled" which, upon googling, tells me that its a driver related error.

If I do 'Repair Now', then:

- Troubleshoot > Startup Repair > 'Startup repair could not repair your pc'

- Troubleshoot > Command Prompt > sfc /scannow > "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation"

- Troubleshoot > Command Prompt > bootrec /Rebuildbcd > 'Total Windows installations: 0"

- Troubleshoot > Command Prompt > bootrec /Fixmbr > succeeds

- Troubleshoot > Command Prompt > bootrec /Fixboot > 'Access is denied'

- Troubleshoot > Command Prompt > chkdsk c: /f /r > no problems

In BIOS, I have done 'Reset to Optimized Defaults'. I have turned on/off 'Fast Startup'. I have turned on/off 'Secure Boot'. I have selected OS Type to both 'Windows UEFI mode' and 'Other OS'.

I have also unplugged my GPU and the monitor is connected to the MB's HDMI port.

So far nothing has worked and I have no clue what is the problem here. Any ideas? Thanks

aq88

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015
According to microsoft, the problem related to the SSD, or maybe the RAM too. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...ck-0xc0000221--status-image-checksum-mismatch

Connect the SSD into other computer, if it can show up, the problem maybe from the RAM. If it does not show in the BIOS in other computer, get other one.
i did try to install on different SSDs and also used different USB keys. I also removed one of the RAM sticks to see if this fixed the issue but it did not. I can also see the correct RAM specs in BIOS so it should be good. After trying a lot of things, I finally got the installation to work at some point but it still fails at 'copying files for installation' step with the error: "Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available and restart the installation. Error code: 0x8007025D"