[SOLVED] Your PC did not start correctly

boxofawesome

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2012
Hi there

I have an issue that has appeared recently with my computer.

Specs
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
ASRock B550M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16
Western Digital Blue 1 TB SSD
MSI Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB MECH OC
Corsair RMx 550W

The initial problem was upon turning on the computer, it wouldn't load to desktop and instead took me to the your PC did not start correctly. This is about 1 month after build completion and no problems until now.
I tried all the options available on that, startup repair, reset windows etc. Failing that I performed a clean install of windows, assuming that windows had become corrupt for some reason.

Proceeding to desktop on my clean install, I reinstalled all the basic drivers, and programs I use.
Low and behold on the next reboot, straight back to the your PC did not start correctly screen. At this point I was beginning to think that my SSD was failing.
Loaded into safe mode, checked the 'health' of my SSD with multiple programs/tests all seems fine. Also checked the SATA and power cable going to the SSD and remounted the RAM, all to no avail on next reboot.

Yet another clean install, this time I installed the drivers etc one by one, restarting each time to see where the your PC did not start correctly problem starts from.
Turns out the problem starts from when I restart the PC after installing Radeon drivers. Remounted GPU to check if that was a cause also.
I have tried past, current and optional Radeon drivers all with no luck in curing the windows failing to boot after installing them.

I tested it on a game 'Valorant' the only way I have found to get the GPU to work is start the Radeon driver installation in safe mode, selecting the factory reset option, so it uninstalls everything in safe mode, restarts and boots to normal desktop, then installs the drivers. It asks me to restart at the end of installation which I do not click because I know it will not be able to boot into windows on restart to 'complete' the installation. Games will run fine in the meantime and GPU shows up in Dxdiag at this point, until I reboot then its all back to square one.

At this point, the only way to access normal desktop is to keep the Radeon drivers uninstalled. Then it works fine, albeit without the ability to use my GPU for much apart from YouTube and browsing etc.

I hope my ramblings make sense.
What do you guys think?

Solution
Thank you for your help, I did try these but no luck.
Turns out it was a faulty GPU. I have since found out a lot about 5600 XT cards and Windows boot issues.
Swapped it for an RTX 2060. :LOL:
This seems odd to me, however, I can offer a few suggestions from most likely to least likely:

Have you tried using DDU to uninstall and reinstall the Radeon drivers?

Also are you sure you are on the latest version of windows?

When you reseated the GPU did you try another PCIe slot?

Have you tried making sure there isn't any corruption on the device you are using to install windows to the PC? This will take a few minutes but will ensure that the windows install is not corrupted:

1. Open Start.

2. Search for Command Prompt, right-click the top result, and select the Run as administrator option.

3. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
SFC /scannow

4. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

5. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

6. Type the following command and press Enter, let run until its complete:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

7. If step 3 failed but steps 4-6 found corruption and fixed it repeat step 3 again.

Reactions: boxofawesome

boxofawesome

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2012
Thank you for your help, I did try these but no luck.
Turns out it was a faulty GPU. I have since found out a lot about 5600 XT cards and Windows boot issues.
Swapped it for an RTX 2060. :LOL:

Solution