[SOLVED] Your top "home-care" GPUs

Jedi Exile

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
So, I'm currently looking into updating my GTX 770 2GB. It's a great card, but I need more memory for modded Skyrim SE. The update is supposed to be nothing major, my rig is quite old (2600 i7), so something of close value.
Ofc I'm looking used. But as I don't want to get myself a "miner" card it got me thinking:

What were the most ignored by miners cards back in the day?

I mean, they were supposed to be not really cheap and not really meant for OC. The ones people just buy to game at home, not looking for best price/mhz to buy in bulk.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Solution
When searching, though, also look at the prices of new RX570/580/590 cards to compare to. The prices on them have come down notably.

Actually, that's probably a good idea with any used cards you find, as I sometimes see people selling used cards for MORE than the same card goes for new. I have no idea what that insanity is about.

There was 1070 suggestion, but it's pretty expensive jump.

The 1070 is no longer made. I think some seller look up the price of that card online, find that the only ones being sold are being sold for well more than they should be, given their performance, and use that as their base price.

I've seen new (leftover stock I guess), and used 1070s being sold for $400.

Also:
My PSU is a 800w...

Lutfij

Titan
You're talking about the GT710 or their ilk sort of cards that were primarily used in either office system's or system's that needed a basic display output for aging boards or system's where a new build with the iGPU would've been an expensive route.

That being said, you're not going to find cards that haven't been used for mining. Even if they were mined a little, you have no way to verify to what extent the mining went on for and in what conditions.

Lastly, you might want to list your specs lik so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

including the age of your PSU.

Jedi Exile

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
That being said, you're not going to find cards that haven't been used for mining. Even if they were mined a little, you have no way to verify to what extent the mining went on for and in what conditions.
I find that hard to believe as lots of people just buy GPUs to game and sell when they become old. Myself included.

My PSU is a 800w beast, bronze, made in Korea. But it's the least of my concerns.
CPU is i7 2600. Gaming-wise not really different from i5 2500.
MB is Asus Z8P77-V
16GB of 1866mhz DDR3.
250 GB SSD with Steam folder on it.
I'm on Win10 64bit.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I would suggest a 1660 variant, or if you wanted to go cheaper a 580/590. The latter would be more readily available used (obviously) and highly likely they might have been mined on. If you came across a cheap 1060 that would likely be worthwhile too.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
When searching, though, also look at the prices of new RX570/580/590 cards to compare to. The prices on them have come down notably.

Actually, that's probably a good idea with any used cards you find, as I sometimes see people selling used cards for MORE than the same card goes for new. I have no idea what that insanity is about.

The 1070 is no longer made. I think some seller look up the price of that card online, find that the only ones being sold are being sold for well more than they should be, given their performance, and use that as their base price.

I've seen new (leftover stock I guess), and used 1070s being sold for $400.

Also:
My PSU is a 800w beast, bronze, made in Korea. But it's the least of my concerns.

This should be of a lot of concern, actually. A wattage rating is one thing, but how that wattage is distributed over the various rails, as well as the build quality of the PSU itself, can be entirely unrelated. I've seen very high quality 450W PSUs, and dumpster-fire quality PSUs rated at 600, 700, 800 etc watts.

What is the exact brand and model number of your PSU. If possible, a photo of the label on the PSU would be helpful as well. The biggest concern is how many amps it provides on the 12V rail(s).

Reactions: punkncat
Solution