Discussion Your view on Corsair Strafe RGB

chuffedas

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
I am interested on people's views on this keyboard.
I just picked up a a second hand one.
I am wondering where it sits when compared to other keyboards out there.

I have only ever used what there was with the pc or what I picked up.
Never actually liked anything.
It never crossed my mind that people would actually like a keyboard, rather than just use it for what needed doing.

Anyway, I thought I would look into it. But i had no frame of reference, so all of the comparisons online meant nothing.
I like the idea of mechanical as you can choose what works for you and you can repair it and change switches etc etc

I reckon I will slowly pick up cheap used bits and make my own.
Probably a 60% or the next size up.

Anyway, I don't like clicking and clacking, so went for one with MX silent switches.
It being my first mechanical keyboard, I am well impressed, I shall definitely not be going back.

I am not interested in the RGB bits, I am pretty simple and they are annoying.

So, yes, how do people rate the Corsair Strafe RGB (with mx xilent switches?)

Cheers

Not sure why it matters much what others think about it, keyboards are pretty personal preference. Do you just want to be in with the popular kids so you like what they like LOL?

I've had people tell me that laptop keyboards are amazing and they want soft mushy keyboards for their desktops, no matter what the tech people and keyboard enthusiasts said.

I have that keyboard with the silent switches, it's a bit too quick to activate the keys to me and the feel is not as "mechanical" as many other keyboards. It's the keyboard on my main computer in the house, because I wanted something quieter not to bother others due to computer location in the living room. Plus it will be used by others so I did not want something totally mechanical feeling like Red/Blue.

If you must have some sort of rating, I'd say it's 8/10 for the keyboards I own. I have a Leopold with MX Red, HyperX with Kaleh Silver Speed switches, and a couple of generic Brown key switch ones for kids from Amazon. The Leopold would be top for me, HyperX second (more mechanic feeling and smooth), MX Silent third.

chuffedas

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Oh, yeah, that is me... you got me sussed.
All about hangin' wiv da kool kidz. :)

Because I have only ever had rubbish membrane keyboards I had no frame of reference. So, now I have one frame of reference and no comparison.

I like it very much compared to anything else I have used.
But a moped is WAY better than a bicycle, but it would be nice to have a motorbike, right?

Just wondering if this is a moped and nobody has told me about the motorbikes.

So, the reason I ask is for just exactly the sort of comments you have made.
Thank you for those. It gives me things to think about and see if I mind them.

eg:
" it's a bit too quick to activate the keys to me " OK, cheers, interesting stuff. I just hammer the keys to the bottom anyway (I have discovered) but did notice they trigger high up. Just assumed that was a MK thing.
" the feel is not as "mechanical" as many other keyboards. " Also thank you. I have no idea what you mean, but really thanks loads.
" I'd say it's 8/10 for the keyboards I own. " Cool. So, it is a pretty reasonable keyboard then. Not a pile of poo.

Edit: So, you say the Hyper X is smoother?
That is all down to the switches right?

Apr 22, 2019
I am not familiar with that particular keyboard myself, but I have recently purchased my first corsair keyboard recently, and love it. That being said, the major thing you might notice when going from membrane to switch, feeling aside, is the fact you won't get key ghosting. That is, you might find when playing games, etc, that as you press a lot of keys at the same time, on a membrane keyboard they may stop registering.

If you don't like clicking and clacking, one last thing you can do to further the typing experience, is try keyboard O-rings. When you take off a keycap for a typical switch, you will see there is a post. The o-ring just slides over that post and acts as a buffer when you bottom out the key.

One thing to note about mech keyboards, is the feeling changes a lot depending on the switch. How the keyboard is built, and the quality of the materials they use also have an impact, but as long as you have a reputable manufacturer, then really at the end of the day it's all how the board feels to you. Research can go a long way before buying any new piece of equipment, but sometimes it can leave you with an opinion that may been born from biases... so be mindful of that.

chuffedas

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Thanks.
The mx silent switches seems pretty good (apart from the space bar) anyway.
But, for the price of some O rings, I will give them a try.

I agree about the biases, very difficult to work around sometimes.

I don't really play games, and every thing pc wise seems to revolve around that.

I think that I will try the O rings, (If I am being picky, there is something I am not so keen on but can't quite work out what it is) then the plan is to put together something based around the switches that I like. These seem ok, so I will probably go with these.

I think i the idea of a 60% KB possibly 68. So will see if second hand parts come up and try and do one on the cheap.

I swapped to the Strafe Silent RGB as the pc room is next to the bedroom and the wife complained about the noise of the Razer Blackwidow I had before. I actually preferred the feel of the Blackwidow keys but the Strafe is significantly quieter so has stayed. It’s keys are good but just not a nice as the Blackwidow.