YouTube Announces Plans to Stream 1080p Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transmaniacon

Distinguished
Wow this is awesome, especially with news of Hulu have a subscription fee, if youtube were smart they would start working out deals with networks to stream full length episodes, people would have no reason to go to hulu...

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
It's sad to see so many wonderful, bandwidth intensive services cropping up all of the sudden while we have pending bandwidth caps looming over the country..

dainsane1

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
This sounds good in theory; but who has the steady bandwidth to stream 1080p? then next issue would be the download caps that are being enforced by more isp's these days. As is my streaming usage lands me near my cap. *sarcastic voice* thank you rogers
/EndRant

Ryric

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
Transmaniacon you realize Hulu is owned by the networks...Seriously think before you speak.

Is this really that big of change? "[...] YouTube's HD mode [...] viewing videos in 720p or 1080p[...]"

You can still enjoy your lower quality videos... chill

G0liath

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
I thought youtube was having financial troubles due to the high amount of trafic their servers must do, now they are increasing it ?!

Don't get me wrong I LOVE HD and I guess this might be a sign that in the future box office movies will stream on youtube.

I would love to see the day when I can watch theater released movies in my home on release day in HD quality streaming from youtube and paying a small fee like I would a ticket but now I get to control the sound volume or pause the movie if I want to ( tho I highly doubt something like this will happen, in the eyes of the studios 1 person pays and he can have his friends family and neighbors in to see it )

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
The problem will be ISP (Internet Service Provider)... offering limited bandwidth for try stopping the download.
I really hate having a so limited bandwidth.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Who wants to see some viral of a dog doing it's stuff to somebody's leg in 1080p? Not me. Youtube have got to get some serious content like movies. If they have the servers and bandwidth, I would pay to stream a movie or TV show in 1080p.

cichy69

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
oh snap.. millions of videos watched everyday by people on YouTube, that will kill ISP's

(come on Comcast, improve your network first.. before charging people more and giving them less)

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
You have to have 4.0 mbps or greater to stream 1080p. I've got 1.5, the fastest I can get without going with EVIL Comcast and paying 5x as much as I pay right now.

My mobile phone(30$ a month) is faster :eek:(. But hey, it's $20 a month!

Sure, they can call it "1080P" because of the resolution. Compression will shred most of the quality in that resolution by my guess. Usually you will see pixelated artifacts in the image and they become more evident as you reach the edges of the frame. It doesn't take a trained eye to see this type of loss.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I think this will have a minimal effect, other than driving bandwidth caps more and more. I can't imaging ever streaming 1080p, I tend to steer away even from 720p, I download most of it, hate waiting for steaming vids to load.

buckcm

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
@ sKiT75

Of course they have to compress. Look back a few years and see how they went from utter crap (unless you used &fmt=18), to introducing high quality, to 720p which is pretty decent. 1080p should look bomb. It won't be Bluray, but you are streaming this...

My complaint is how to upload 1080p videos, as other people have already pointed out. I get 26/22, about 3 MB/s each way with Verizon fios. The upload is too good for the Youtube servers to keep up. This is disastrous. Joking aside, I feel sorry for the people who live outside of Verizon's reach and for those who have to put up with dumb bandwidth caps.

ac21365

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Too bad no US ISP's (say for FIOS) sell enough upload to make this worth my time to upload in a timely manner.

Unless I leave it running overnight.

filthyoptimizer

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Today's D1 and lower resolution videos on youtube already have bandwidth problems that cause my video playback to stall all the time. My ISP bandwidth has never been the problem. So announcing 1080p is just for some upper management douche at youtube/google to say "Hey, we met our goal of offering 1080p by such and such date. Now please give us our insane bonuses". It won't be usable anytime soon.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]webbwbb[/nom]It's sad to see so many wonderful, bandwidth intensive services cropping up all of the sudden while we have pending bandwidth caps looming over the country..[/citation]
This deserves repeating.

Status
Not open for further replies.