[SOLVED] Youtube drop frames when gaming

Andy Yu

Honorable
Dec 20, 2015
Recently just built a new PC and changed to dual monitors and I realized that higher setting in games which is around 90~95% not even 99%, Youtube videos will drop frames consistently especially 60FPS ones.
For the video I tested it 3085/11535 Frames according to statistics.
Is it normal and is there a way to fix it.

Tested Game: Overwatch @ Epic 1440p 144 FPS Limited (same problem with every game I played such as Apex, Cyberpunk, but I only logged Overwatch specifically)
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X stock (usage below 25% all time)
CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 Elite (temperature below 60C all time)
RAM: Corsair LPX 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200 18-22-22-42 @ 1.35V
Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify
GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 Tuf OC (Manual OC +125MHz core, +250MHz Mem) in game staying around 1985~2025MHz with highest temp at 62C
PSU: EVGA 850W P2 SuperNOVA

Solution
I'm not certain, but I believe that is normal. On my GTX 1080 Ti, it'll be at 15% GPU utilization while watching YouTube 1440p @ 60 FPS and 30% while watching YouTube 4K @ 60 FPS.
You could also try disabling hardware acceleration in chrome, that way your cpu is going to be used instead of your GPU.

Also windows works on the basis of task priorities, every task starts with a base priority of normal which means that they all get the same amount of attention but if one window is focused/in foreground (like the game you play) that task gets a higher priority which tells your system to pay less attention to everything else.

You can use task manager to put chrome on a...
I'm not certain, but I believe that is normal. On my GTX 1080 Ti, it'll be at 15% GPU utilization while watching YouTube 1440p @ 60 FPS and 30% while watching YouTube 4K @ 60 FPS. You could wait for the responses of others, but I suspect it's normal with games that push GPU utilization to 99%. I too have two displays, and watching YouTube while gaming.

I'm not certain, but I believe that is normal. On my GTX 1080 Ti, it'll be at 15% GPU utilization while watching YouTube 1440p @ 60 FPS and 30% while watching YouTube 4K @ 60 FPS.
You could also try disabling hardware acceleration in chrome, that way your cpu is going to be used instead of your GPU.

Also windows works on the basis of task priorities, every task starts with a base priority of normal which means that they all get the same amount of attention but if one window is focused/in foreground (like the game you play) that task gets a higher priority which tells your system to pay less attention to everything else.

You can use task manager to put chrome on a higher priority or even better use a different browser just for youtube so you can raise that one without raising all the tabs you usually have open.

Solution

Andy Yu

Honorable
Dec 20, 2015

You can use task manager to put chrome on a higher priority or even better use a different browser just for youtube so you can raise that one without raising all the tabs you usually have open.

I tried it on Chrome but it still drop frames during game if not harder, but I tried downloading firefox and disabling hardware acceleration and it works! Thank you