YouTube Gains 550,000 Historical Newsreels From As Early As 1895

Status
Not open for further replies.

g-unit1111

Titan
"In the future, you may be able to talk to people without actually talking to people! We call this device a "Facebook" and the young founder will be worth more money than you could ever possibly imagine!" :lol:

AWESOME!! Glad to see them do this. I will certainly kill some time watching these videos, especially those of the older news footage. Might even pop a big arse bowl of popcorn!

See y'all in 2016 some time!

G

These should go to archive.org, if it isn't already. On Youtube, it's just going to be full of advertisements.

Only if they upload all the movies. Some of the Movietone clips I've seen from WWII were, by today's standards, incredibly racist. To be a historical archive, all those need to be made publicly available so people can see an unadulterated, unbiased version of history (history of news clips, since the clips themselves were censored to protect wartime secrets). I suspect though that it'll be self-censored, and the most-offending clips will be left out, kinda like it's nearly impossible to find Disney's and Warner Bros' wartime propaganda cartoons.

It's their videos, they can upload it wherever they want. The fact that they'd actually make some money off of putting it on YouTube is probably a big part of the reason they're doing it.

Once they're on YouTube, you can take the ones which are old enough to be out of copyright and put them on archive.org if you wish. Works under copyright (in the U.S.) are supposed to be stored at the Library of Congress - you're supposed to send a copy when you register a copyright. So long-term maybe they can work out some arrangement with archive.org or set up their own website. But as always, the question is how are you going to pay for the additional costs to make it available for people to view online? Here, they probably calculated they'd recoup some or all of the costs of digitizing the films via YouTube ads.

CROOKID

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
This is downright amazing.

It's funny how people debate YouTube will be phased out soon along with content creators.

Sorry, but it's here to stay. Slightly off topic, I know, but I think it's the opposite. Pretty soon it will be in everyone's living room. It has already started.

CROOKID

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014

I hope you're kidding lol.

Yea, that is kind of unfortunate. The only one I could find with higher resolution options was a very modern one updated later. Ah well. 360p really isn't so terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS