YouTube Gaming Seeks To Steal Spotlight From Twitch, Starting Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstarr3

Distinguished
This initially makes me sad, because I like Twitch, but... Do I like Twitch because of Twitch itself, or do I like Twitch because of the streamers I watch on Twitch, who would inevitably switch to YouTube once the winds change?

I dont see many major streamers, or tournament broadcasts switching over. Twitch works for them, CSGO had nearly one million viewers during the ESL One Cologne finals last week on twitch, why bother moving to youtube?

I dont see many major streamers, or tournament broadcasts switching over. Twitch works for them, CSGO had nearly one million viewers during the ESL One Cologne finals last week on twitch, why bother moving to youtube?
Interestingly, you can stream to multiple sites without terribly that much extra processing power.

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Youtube Streaming is going to need extra featuresets (third-party or otherwise), such as a Nightbot-alike chat mod, TwitchAlerts-style notifications and donation announcers, etc, before it will rise to compete with Twitch.

Which is pretty much what will happen.

It is much like say Rooster Teeth who tries to use their website more, because they get more money, but they use YouTube and have been making a Twitch Stream team.

People will follow the money.

WhyFi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Elsewhere in the WWW, many are concerned about YouTube's Content ID, which can yank down a live stream if it thinks that there's some IP infringement going on. If it happens enough to even be a little annoying, the endeavor is going to flop.

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
I had already read this subject on various news sources via Flipboard, but I came here thinking that Tom's was going to "tech" the hell out of it. I just wanted to know what the bandwidth cap was for Youtube. I'm am punished by Twitch's 3.5mbps, and I have the capacity to use 12. I'd like to migrate from using CPU encoding to the Nvidia codec, but the quality is too low at the cap.

Also, side note. Google owns Youtube. I should be able to use my PLAY purchased music in my streams. It would encourage others to buy from the PLAY store.

Joshboy82, there might be a small problem with users who dont have very fast internet.
Im not talking about streamers, but people who want to watch streams.
I Tested xplit back in the day and anything above 720p was problematic for people in other continents.
Also, we still dont know what infrastructure will be used.
If it is the youtube videos or youtube ads... because the second ones never lag, but the first ones is a lottery.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
Elsewhere in the WWW, many are concerned about YouTube's Content ID, which can yank down a live stream if it thinks that there's some IP infringement going on. If it happens enough to even be a little annoying, the endeavor is going to flop.

dont forget, if people get content ided to many times, there goes their ability to monetize because the system is sending out dmca too apparently.

anyone who makes a youtube video would be absolutely retarded if they put a stream up because its potentially slitting their own throat if the game plays a song and youtube will never change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.