[SOLVED] Youtube hates my videos!

Dec 29, 2018
I record with my elgato in 1080p 60fps and it looks crystal clear! I then upload to youtube and it goes all blurry and horrible! I tested it by uploading after editing and without editing and they are the same! I have the video quality to the 1080p 60fps optiopn so that is not the issue! Anyone know how to fix it?

Dec 29, 2018

It was uploaded over a day ago. Still looks like *

stephenberrelli

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018

And you've made sure that you've selected a higher quality when viewing it. Also do you mind if I can get a link to the video to see if its bad quality for me

Dec 29, 2018

stephenberrelli

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
The quality on both those videos is fine for me, when viewing the video go to the bottom right of the screen, press the gear button, and make sure you select 1080p under Quality tab

Dec 29, 2018

Its set at the right/max settings at the settings bit but its still blurry.

stephenberrelli

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
Its set at the right/max settings at the settings bit but its still blurry.[/quotemsg]

How blurry is it, a lot or a little. If its a little then the problem is your recording software.

Dec 29, 2018

How blurry is it, a lot or a little. If its a little then the problem is your recording software.

[/quotemsg]
Its not the Elgato ive just bought it and it is maxed settings. It is something to do with youtube.
Also add me on discord to make it easyer rather than have this thread go massive.

iSliceAndDice#6221

Dec 29, 2018

[/quotemsg]
Discord wont let me send u anything:
Your message could not be delivered because you don't share a server with the recipient or you disabled direct messages on your shared server, recipient is only accepting direct messages from friends, or you were blocked by the recipient.

Dec 29, 2018

So for you it may be better if your internet is better than mine? I have decent internet.

USAFRet

Titan

And not just "your internet", but also actual traffic between you and them, at that moment.
You can have a great personal connection, but if the overall traffic between you and them is a bit constricted, it may downscale.

They prioritize smoothness over absolute resolution.

Dec 29, 2018

SO if i go over to my grandads and watch it, it may be better quality?

Asadumer

Commendable
Mar 14, 2017
before uploading your video, always check the youtube video quality settings, maybe it is lowered from there, also use some video editing software to render your videos.

The problem with uploading 1080p videos to YT is their conversion allocates a pretty low bitrate to 1080p. They only give 1/3 to 1/4 the bitrate to 1080p they give to 1440p, despite 1080p being over half the pixels (.56). It doesn't matter if you give it high bitrate when compressing before uploading either, as YouTube will not make use of it.

You used to be able to use a trick to slightly resize the video to 2048x1152 to trick YouTube into using the higher bitrate it allocates to 1440p, but that doesn't work anymore. However you can still get them to look noticeably better by resizing them to actual 1440p (2560x1440). However you need to use more bitrate when compressing.

I was reluctant to try this due to thinking the loss of pixels would make it much blurrier, but YouTube's 3 to 4 times the bitrate for 1440p upon converting them more than makes up for it. I use Avidemux to edit, compress, and resize. It also has a ABR (Average Bitrate) option, which is far superior to VBR (Variable Bitrate), or CBT (Constant Bitrate). If you want to try Avidemux and need help, I can guide you through it, it's relatively easy though.

ABR uses a two pass compression method, the first pass analyzes where to place most of the bitrate by detecting motion. The second pass compresses the file. YouTube recommends 30,000 bitrate for 1440p content, but I have found that is only necessary for very high detailed games. For instance Ghost Recon Wildlands has lots of ground foliage that can look blurry when traveling over it, whereas The Evil Within is slower paced with less graphic detail.

Here are examples of GRW with both 1080p and 1440p uploads, and TEW with 1440p. All were captured in 1080p. The bitrate is 30,000 for the 1440p GRW vid, and 20,000 for the 1440p TEW vid. The differences will be most obvious when viewed fullscreen.

1080p GRW Upload (select 1080p view option)

1440p GRW Upload (select 1440p view option)

1440p TEW Upload (select 1440p view option)

I really don't get why this thread was labeled [Solved], I see no solution presented.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS