Hi,

Someone gave me a laptop and here are the specs:

Acer Aspire E1 421 - 0844
AMD Dual Core E-1 1200 (1400mhz)
AMD radeon 7310 with 256 megs
4gb of ram
HDD

First thing I did was to reset the computer to factory settings

I have some 1080p MKV files and they play flawlessly. Everything works as it should. The computer is not super fast, but it gets the job done.

However it can't read 720p youtube videos properly, it's very choppy. I tried with 4 browsers Opera - Chrome - Firefox and IE. I also tried their HTML5 version.

Is that normal?

I am thinking to replace the HDD with a SSD... would that help?

cheers

Solution
The cpu is extremely weak. Have you tried to turn of hardware acceleration? The ssd won't make any difference to youtube. Only the launching of programs and transferring data will be faster

ToineF

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014

thanks for your reply, I did try to turn off the hardware acceleration and it didn't change anything.

But if the CPU is ok to run a 2 hour 1080p MKV file in vlb, it's strange that it cant run a 780p video on youtube, dont you think?

I mean, these little tv box can run HD videos off youtube with half the processor speed. Very strange.

ToineF

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014

sorry for my ignorance, how would I do that?

Go to the amd catalyst controller and you should have the option of choosing the browser. Select the dgpu assuming you have one. Just out of curiosity what are the temps when you watch youtube?

ToineF

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014

thanks, there are no options for the browser in the Catalyst Controller, but there is a checkbox for "force settings on internet videos' which I did and didn't work either.

As for the temps, what do you want me to look in there?

At the end of the day, maybe it's just the CPU that is weak....

Could you check the temps? I ask this as you may have high temps while watching videos. This will cause the cpu and gpu to throttle under the high heat.