Youtube keeps buffering

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbarich

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014
My latop is about 2 years old and is working fine but yesterday I noticed the youtube page is not working like it used to. It seems to have happened overnight. It plays the first video ok but if I try to play another it buffers. I end up having to close page and open another and then it's ok for roughly 3 minutes then buffers again. Does anyone have any advice to overcome this? Thanks.

abbarich

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014
I'm using windows 10. It's a lenovo laptop and only 4.00GB of RAM. Laptop isn't hot and is up to date with updates. Not sure of speed but I'm with virgin and it's pretty quick. All sites I go on are normal, except youtube which was perfect until yesterday. I'm not sure why it's started buffering after about 3 minutes. I had the same thing years ago on a desktop but I updated flash and it solved it. Flash isn't even on my laptop but youtube has worked perfectly til now. I'm not sure what's happened. Thanks.

abbarich

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014
Thanks, I tested my speed and it 42.0 Mbps which is fast. I rebooted router and installed Flash but no change to the problem. It allows me to watch one youtube video and I've just noticed if I stay on the same page without opening another it doesn't buffer when I play another video, but if I open another page and browse while listening to music on youtube it always buffers when I try to play another. I have to close the page and open another. I've always listened to youtube while browsing another page, and it's only started this problem a couple of days ago. Not sure what could have suddenly caused this. I haven't installed a SSD before. Could this solve it? I'm wifi and chrome 83. CPU is 2.16GHZ. Thanks.

Last edited:

abbarich

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name DESKTOP-VO7C9GU

System Type x64-based PC

System SKU LENOVO_MT_80MJ_BU_idea_FM_Lenovo ideapad 100-15IBY

Processor Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N2840 @ 2.16GHz, 2159 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date LENOVO CCCN18WW(V2.04), 11/11/2015

I've copied and pasted a few of the specs. My laptop is 3 years old come to think of it. It still works great. It's a shame about youtube. The age of my laptop might be the reason so I'll probably have to live with it. Thanks.

Google chrome uses up a lot of ram since you only have 4GB of RAM you could try to use another browser. Your CPU is a limiting factor as well.

Some upgrades that will speed up your system:
  • SSD
  • 4GB more of RAM for a total of 8GB

abbarich

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014
Thanks for that. I'll try using youtube on another browser. This laptop wasn't as expensive as my previous one so maybe it's slowing down now it's 3 years old. I'll get a better one next time. I'll look into the SSD upgrade for this one though. I'm not sure how long laptops last these days but it may pay me to upgrade. Many thanks!

abbarich

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014
My laptop is pretty full of MPEGs and MP3's. Just a thought, if I deleted these would it speed up my laptop? As it's 3 years old now, I might still need to get an upgrade though. Thanks.

abbarich

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014
Thanks for that. Is there a particular 4GB RAM you'd recommend for my lenovo laptop? I see there's help videos on youtube but I've never done anything like this before. Is it easy to do, and should I be aware of anything so I don't cause any damage? I can remember when I did a systems maintenance course years ago we had to wear wrist bands to protect the desktops, but I think laptops are pretty hardy aren't they? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.