YouTube Offline Without Ads: There’s A Paywall For That

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I don't like to be logged into anything google as they save all my search inquiries and keep track of everything I do on the internet. Not giving them all my info. They can work for it by trying to figure out who I am. Logging into their services just hands it to them. Got to work for your money.

dstarr3

Distinguished
Adblocking the app on mobile works. Unlocking background play on mobile works. Unlocking offline play and adblocking it will work, too.

All glory to the Xposed devs!

They already are. I used to be able to watch a video with an ad in the beginning. Now there is a ad in the beginning and it seems like every 15 or so minutes in a hour long video. Is annoying to be at a good part and it just cut to a random ad.

This is Google after all. They gotta get as much ad time as possible since they make most of their money off of ad revenue (something like 68 billion last year).

Brotide

Reputable
Oct 21, 2015
A majority of adblocker users will still adblock. I like the premise of being able to better contribute ad revenue to my favorite youtube channels while enjoying no ads without resorting to plugins that screw everyone out of the revenue. As a Google Play Music subscriber, I hope to see a package deal for the 2 services since Youtube Music will overlap in both services. $10/mo may be fairly steep to the average user that may only watch a handful of videos a month, but will definitely be good value for the heavy content users.

Optimus_Toaster

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
Considering the amount of content I consume on youtube, I am happy to pay $9.99 a month to remove the ads. Adblock is out of the question cause I am not an arsehole.

-10 points. It even names the arseholes.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Adblock Plus = Winning.
For mobile you can install Dolphin Browser which has Adblock plugin and default Youtube through it so all the ads are blocked on there as well.
I would never use the Youtube app and suffer the ad spam.
Life is too short to suffer that annoyance.

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
I don't like to be logged into anything google as they save all my search inquiries and keep track of everything I do on the internet. Not giving them all my info. They can work for it by trying to figure out who I am. Logging into their services just hands it to them. Got to work for your money.

Is supporting a free global video streaming service that hosts terabytes of video per hour not enough work for you?

You know most of that garbage is from the uploader spamming ads. AFAIK the only ads that are shown by Google on Youtube are the little text box ads on the side bar. If your Youtube video does not have copyrighted content, you don't have to show any ads on your channel.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
So, I just use adblock plus to block the ads automatically. And use the clipconvert.cc website or similar, or software on my PC to download movies to my hard drive... Is that too difficult? Sadly I guess most people don't know these tools exist.

hitman400

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Why is everyone making this about adblock? The key feature is that you can watch videos offline. So...basically like Spotify, except a 20x bigger archive of videos/music.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014

Because there are many softwares for PC to download Youtube videos for free, even entire youtube channels with a couple mouse clicks, and a site, 'keepvid.com'. I'm sure there are apps and that site may work on smart phones too.
Youtube is offering something that is already very easy to get for free.

For those who work at it it wont be a problem (so far its ad-block).
PCs have always been for those who solve problems by themselves instead of expecting others to do it for them, and that is unlikely to change.
The good things is that it helps you keep that mentality in all your life (and thats is a good things since most of the time you will be on your own).

Esier to get a job as well since you will be the sort of worker who will look at how to solve the problem instead of saying "I dont know, noone told me how to" or "its not my fault, I did not know".

So my mom was wrong when she said PC gaming is good for nothing...

nikolajj

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
How will the content creators benefit from this, compared to the adds? Google should try making the content creators happy for once.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011

The key feature is ad-less videos. Something we already get for free. There are already apps that can download youtube videos for free if your going travelling so that's nothing special.
It's a paid service for those living in the dark basically.

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Corporate greed reigns supreme again...

Ok, excluding PC tech-savvy users, for which this service offers little; why the $9.99???

Why not $1.99? Are they seriously suggesting that my monthly Youtube activity puts $10 in their pocket? I absolutely, and utterly, do not think so.

At $1.99, this is the sort of thing every kid in the playground asks mom & dad for, and a $1.99 direct debit will likely be overlooked in the hardest of financial times too. Imagine the conversation with the wife when times are tuff... "Honey! $10 to charity? Cut. $10 for mobile add-ons? Cut. $10 to Youtube? Definitely cut." But at something missable like $1.99, it could run for decades.

And they'd still make money. They'd be tied to countless more bank accounts across the world.

My d.d. to Cancer Research is less than 10/month, and has been running for 15yrs, no matter how broke I've been, or not been. See the patten Google?

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Corporate greed reigns supreme again...

Ok, excluding PC tech-savvy users, for which this service offers little; why the $9.99???

Why not $1.99? Are they seriously suggesting that my monthly Youtube activity puts $10 in their pocket? I absolutely, and utterly, do not think so.

At $1.99, this is the sort of thing every kid in the playground asks mom & dad for, and a $1.99 direct debit will likely be overlooked in the hardest of financial times too. Imagine the conversation with the wife when times are tuff... "Honey! $10 to charity? Cut. $10 for mobile add-ons? Cut. $10 to Youtube? Definitely cut." But at something missable like $1.99, it could run for decades.

And they'd still make money. They'd be tied to countless more bank accounts across the world.

My d.d. to Cancer Research is less than 10/month, and has been running for 15yrs, no matter how broke I've been, or not been. See the patten Google?
Pretty much this exactly.

It's also only in the USA so if your outside the USA you won't have access to their 'restricted content'. Not that I would ever watch pewdiepie anyway but I'm sure there will be more at a later date.

Youtube Red.... Got a feeling Redtube is going to start a subscription service called Redtube You.
Or perhaps it's a jest at us all. Shows how little they think of us. We will charge you for what you already get for free and infer it as a fisting with its likeness to Redtube.

fil333

Reputable
May 22, 2014
That already happens to some videos I watch, interrupting ads are the worst. I don't mind unobtrusive banner ads or content outside the video frame.

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013
I stopped deciding to tolerate the ads when i watch on my PC when they started arbitrarily muting entire audio streams automatically for fan created music videos, promo clips (partial song content that actually helps promote the creator) or any audio feed that just so HAPPENS to have copyright restricted audio playing in the BACKGROUND of a feed; this happened to me 3 separate times to videos I uploaded while i was welding or working in the garage because i left the RADIO turned on. #@%%&$ Them!

stoned_ritual

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
Google put adblockplus in their pocket about 2 years ago. And I don't know what you're all smoking, but ABP DOES NOT stop advertisements from running in youtube videos AT ALL EVER. It blocks the banner ads on the page borders, and stops you from seeing "related content" sometimes. Yay? And if the ads they have on youtube now are so bothersome to you, they are offering a way for you to PAY FOR THE CONTENT THAT YOU'RE VIEWING, instead of seeing ads. I know that sounds strange to some of you, paying for things, but that is typically how the world works when you leave mom's house.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I will keep my Adblock on my computers and use the adblock browser on my phone. Screw using the youtube app, its even worse when I try to cast to my chromecast and I get more ads!

Status
Not open for further replies.