YouTube Offline Without Ads: There’s A Paywall For That

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

They benefit because now people don't just block their ads, which everyone here seems more than happy to do. Since ads are the only way content creators get revenue, this directly helps them by replacing the ad revenue with a subscription revenue.

I don't think that is it. I don't mind ads. If they are in the beginning fine. But interrupting the content is just poor. Hell I don't pay for cable because well why am I going to pay to watch a channel that still plays 25% of the shows run time in commercials?

As well there is the security aspect. Even Google is guilty of allowing their ads to become compromised allowing viruses to be easily pushed through to consumers systems. To me that is the biggest reason I try to block ads on any website. Until there is a secure system everyone is at risk of infection due to sloppy ad setups that allow injector viruses to attack.

dstarr3

Distinguished

Many sell merch. Many do Patreon. Many have tip jars. If you want to support your favorite YouTubers, buy a t-shirt. That supports them WAAAAAAAY more than watching ads ever has or will. Buy a bit of merch or donate once a year and they're way better off than if you just sat through ads for them.

wkwilley2

Reputable
Aug 4, 2014
I don't like to be logged into anything google as they save all my search inquiries and keep track of everything I do on the internet. Not giving them all my info. They can work for it by trying to figure out who I am. Logging into their services just hands it to them. Got to work for your money.

They already do this rather you're logged in or not. If you have to communicate with a server, they have your information.

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

Or just pay a regular subscription. Which is exactly what this system enables you to do.

dstarr3

Distinguished

Except it still pays the YouTubers peanuts. Half of everybody's $10 goes straight to YouTube themselves, then the other half is pooled and is split among all YouTubers based on time watched. Which may benefit the large channels (very) slightly, but won't do anything for the little guys. And what benefit there will be will still mean VERY little income compared to merch or donations.

This isn't like Twitch where you sub to each channel and it gets split 50/50 between Twitch and the streamer. YouTube takes half, and every channel on YouTube has to fight for the rest. And if you don't have a big audience, you don't stand a chance.

For some perspective, Total Biscuit said that one Twitch sub (which earns him $2.50) makes up for about 500 adblockers. Which demonstrates that ad revenue is total garbage. And YouTube Red isn't going to improve that ratio very much at all. And indeed stands to only make it worse for the small guys. So it still stands, if you really want to support your favorite YouTubers, buy their merch or donate. Buy a t-shirt once a year, or if they have a Patreon, slide them $1 a month directly. They will be MUCH better off for it.

Funny enough even the big guys were talking about how bad it seems to be getting, I was watching Achievement Hunters the other day and they mentioned it and were fearing it would get worse.

dstarr3

Distinguished

Yeah. Many of the YouTubers I follow have discussed this, and absolutely none of them are pleased. Some were optimistic until they crunched the numbers, but once they did, they realized they stand to get shafted pretty hard.

It's like how bands sell merch at concerts. It's because it's the only way they really stand to make a living doing what they do. Record sales won't cut it, because the record companies take all of that money. YouTube Red is the equivalent of buying music off iTunes. Pretty much everybody benefits except the creators. They get peanuts while the execs profit off the talent. So please, if you like them, buy a t-shirt. Even if you just use it as a rag, buy a t-shirt.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011

Weird because I run ABP and haven't seen an ad in Youtube since using it. Years now on my PC.
When I used the Youtube app on my phone I realised how bad the advertising was getting and sought out a solution.
Dolphin Browser with ABP plugin to watch Youtube videos solves the problem.
Not sure what your smoking bro but ABP works perfectly and stops all Youtube ads.
I think your talking about the whitelist feature which you can disable and block all ads in ABP settings, which I do.

hitman400

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

Because there are many softwares for PC to download Youtube videos for free, even entire youtube channels with a couple mouse clicks, and a site, 'keepvid.com'. I'm sure there are apps and that site may work on smart phones too.
Youtube is offering something that is already very easy to get for free.
Then why do people use Spotify if everyone can just easily download music with a couple of clicks? It's more convenient. If I find a song on Youtube I like, I am not going to go out of my way and download it on the computer if I want to listen to it now in the car.

hitman400

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

Because there are many softwares for PC to download Youtube videos for free, even entire youtube channels with a couple mouse clicks, and a site, 'keepvid.com'. I'm sure there are apps and that site may work on smart phones too.
Then why do people use Spotify if everyone can just easily download music with a couple of clicks? It's more convenient. If I find a song on Youtube I like, I am not going to go out of my way and download it on the computer if I want to listen to it now in the car.

hitman400

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

hitman400

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

The key feature is ad-less videos. Something we already get for free. There are already apps that can download youtube videos for free if your going travelling so that's nothing special.
It's a paid service for those living in the dark basically.
Regardless, offline videos still rocks it over Spotify.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS