YouTube pausing and stuttering at 1080p

LordDonkey

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
All 3 computers in the house have this issue, 1080p pauses for a second and then plays for another couple seconds and then pauses or freezes again. It just keeps doing this. 2 laptops and 1 Desktop have this same issue, all with Windows 10 and Chrome with Adblock Plus. The Desktop dual boots Windows 7 & 10, Windows 7 is a semi-fresh install.

The specs of the machines are:
■ Acer Aspire E 17 es1-711; Pentium N3540 2.16GHz; 8GB ram; Intel Graphics
■ Dell Inspiron 15r N5110; Core i3 2350M 2.3GHz; 4GB ram; Intel Graphics 3000
■ Dell Precision 390 Workstation; C2D E6300 1.83GHz; 4GB ram; MSI Radeon HD6670 1GB

The weird thing was the Acer never had this issue then all of a sudden started doing it, the Dell Inspiron yesterday didn't do it and today it's doing it. The Precision all of a sudden pauses/freezes with 720 and 1080 and the audio and video becomes out of sync. The Precision suddenly can't play the games it used to be able to play but that's a different issue (maybe).

LordDonkey

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
I usually get 18000 to 20000 Kbps (18-20 Mbps) and in the stats for nerds thing it reports my speeds as that high, but for some reason after 6:30 the download speed from YouTube drops to 600-1000 Kbps (0.6 to 1.0 Mbps) this is unrelated to the pausing issue because it does that even with the video loaded.

Recent speed test: (The funny thing is I'm not in Kansas :p)
speedtest.jpg

LordDonkey

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
Unfortunately yes... I watch before 8:00AM in the Bonus Byte zone, I have 50GB of data to use, only used 18GB so being out of data is not the issue.
The video is loaded this much:
Capture.jpg
but it still just casually pauses every couple seconds.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You need to let the videos buffer. That ping must hurt.

I used to have a .256mbit connection speed and to watch anything smoothly i had to let it load almost for 5 minutes before watching, and almost always played vids at 720p as it was smaller file and faster to load. Only good thing was my ping was 3ms or something. Fast connection and bad ping almost equals fast ping and slow connection. Changed plans, went from .256mbit to 80 and never looked back except to question why i didn't swap plans sooner.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This really appears to be an issue generated by the network. Your ping is awful (but somewhat understandable given the satellite based access). Streaming smoothly is going to be a challenge under the best of circumstances. At peak times (like when kids come home from school), I would imagine access gets worse.

Short of the aforementioned buffering, I am not sure there is much anyone can offer to overcome your network's limitations. Sorry.

Edo4Life

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016

If all 3 machines are stuttering then the issue is with your network. If only one machine was having issues than it could be a problem with that specific machine, but since all 3 are stuttering, it's a network issue. Call your internet provider and tell them about the problem. It could be that your router is malfunctioning.

LordDonkey

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
Well how do you explain when I switched to Ubuntu 16.04LTS the problem went away and was still happening on the other computers with Windows?

Edit — Now the audio and video goes severely out of sync, the video is 10 seconds behind the audio...