YouTube Transitioning To HTML5, Flash In Jeopardy

Status
Not open for further replies.

heartunes

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015
I'm glad. Youtube works like crappola for me, so I'm going to add an add on of HTML5.1. It has to get better.

About time, when java was ditch by some website a while ago, it help with getting less computer infected.
Also had to update flash every 2 days and sometime things where not working was really annoying.
Boo to DRM indeed.

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Been using HTML5 as my default for quite a while, just required a single change in preferences. But it's great to see Flash go away finally. Bloated software with poor performance and riddled with security concerns should all go away in my opinion.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
For years I never had one issue with Flash player. People whined and bitched about it crashing all the time. I never had it crash, not once and I had no idea why people hated it so much. Then I got a USB headset. It would appear that flash has a problem with switching between a USB headset and other audio devices. The moment I started switching the default audio device back and forth, Flash player started crashing constantly.... I couldn't pause a video without a crash once it started.

I always hated USB headsets because I didn't want to change the default audio device constantly, but they are definitely popular and I suspect that has been the main culprit in crashes. There is no way to determine if this is a Windows API problem, or a Flash player problem, but either way it's definitely the cause of the problems. If I don't want Flash to crash, I don't use my USB headset, and it runs perfectly.

Just thought I'd let people know if they were having Flash reliability issues, it could be because of that.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
Flash works ok if you only use one thing at a time. But if you have multiple flash pages open at the same time, and if they use a lot of ram, it will crash constantly.

A lot of it is poor coding application side. But one flash application taking down all the others is squarely the blame flash itself.

Good riddance, i wish it would have died a long time ago.

alextheblue

Distinguished
I am mostly excited about the HTML5 video codec that will reduce bandwidth, that will help a ton.
Too bad they're using VP9 which is barely better than a good aggressive H.264 encode. H.265 (HEVC) meanwhile blows VP9 out of the water, too, no matter what Google claims. Not to mention VP9 only seems to support 8-bit color depth - No Hi10p or similar. H.264 and H.264 support at least up to 12 bit color depth.

The only real advantage of VP9 is no licensing issues. But if they're really concerned about quality and bandwidth they need to allow those with legit licenses to be able to use H.265 as well. It can be resource intensive but the same couple be said for high-end 1080p AVC encodes when they were introduced nearly a decade ago. More and more devices are going to support HEVC in hardware, the newer graphics cards do. Heck even the Snapdragon 810 has support.

It is not true that VP9 only supports 8-bit color. VP9 supports 12-bit color
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP9

Its true that VP9 and H.265 are highly competitive with each other, but neither really has a strong advantage other the other. The strongest advantage either of them really has is that VP9 is open source and can be used without paying royalties, and VP9 has Google pushing it. Thanks to Google they have already pushed for a hardware decoder to be designed and now functions for one of ARM's new Mali GPUs. That really helps to give it an edge.

jasonkaler

Distinguished
The author seems confused or misinformed about some details.

"Another feature that HTML5 brings over Adobe Flash is the inclusion of WebRTC. "..."While not a direct part of HTML5"...

"The HTML5 standard allows for Google's VP9 codec "... The html5 standard *allows* for all codecs. it doesn't specify that a browser actually has to support VP9.

"Mozilla Firefox currently has HTML5 implemented in a beta version" .. what is this - 2010? The version of firefox I'm using right now has 80% support, and it's not beta.

Tom's is the wrong place to be pushing techno-terms incorrectly.

rokit

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
Finally, no more this glichy fest. Actually i've tried to not use flash at all for 5 months already and everything excluding just some embded videos worked really well. Sure quality wise its up to 720p on youtube but higher on the other video hostings. It really works well!

"Some users will not like this change, however. YouTube announced that following the transition, it will begin to shut down and remove Flash object tags that previously allowed users to embed videos. As a result, in the near future Flash-based embedded videos will cease to function. For websites and blogs that contain a large number of embedded videos, this will be problematic and time-consuming to fix."

This is wrong actually, there is nothing time consuming unless who ever wrote a site engine don't know how to program which doesn't makes sense and the ones that used some ready one(usually popular ones) will revieve and update to fix the issue. On the majority of the big sites(that have only embded videos ofcourse) it could be done in a few days.

dovah-chan

Honorable
Think about all the videos, say that Linus has. Imagine all the links to other sites and videos he has in them. He'll have to go back and change every single one manually now. Feeling bad for Slick and Edzel.

Status
Not open for further replies.