[SOLVED] Youtube video frame drops

mrb00ce

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
My Youtube got some frame drops for sec when switching tab while watching a video. I'm using google chrome and I tried disabling hardware acceleration and it made it worse , can anyone help me out. The video doesn't lag if i don't switch tabs.

My specs

Core 2 Quad q6600
GT1030
4gb ram
Windows 7 64bit

Solution
I'm using a wired connection and my internet i fast enough. The lag happens when I'm switching tabs while watching a video, pausing the video doesn't make it lag. I've used microsoft edge and google chrome and they both have the issue. The lag happens when i switch tabs only for like 1 second its barely noticeable.
If it is really a problem, then I would recommend opening Task Manager while you play the video and switch tabs to see which of your components is struggling when you switch tabs from a video. Most likely, the culprit is your CPU or your RAM, and if you were going to upgrade your CPU, you would probably need to get a new computer, as the Core 2 q6600 is EXTREMELY old, from ~2007. I don't know what your motherboard is...
Jan 2, 2021
Ok, so hardware acceleration in Chrome is when Chrome uses the GPU for making the browsing experience smoother. As far as I can tell, your specs should be find for this type of browsing. The limiters here would seem to be your CPU or RAM, but in my opinion, this is probably not what causes the lag. I think it is more likely in some way your internet connection.

Is your motherboard WiFi enabled?
Do you have a Wireless or Wired network adapter?
What are they, and what speeds are they rated for?
What is your internet connection speed?
What other programs did you have running in the background?
Is this a one time occurence, or does this happen often/every time you switch tabs? If it is a one time occurence, then I would probably not worry about it.

mrb00ce

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
Ok, so hardware acceleration in Chrome is when Chrome uses the GPU for making the browsing experience smoother. As far as I can tell, your specs should be find for this type of browsing. The limiters here would seem to be your CPU or RAM, but in my opinion, this is probably not what causes the lag. I think it is more likely in some way your internet connection.

Is your motherboard WiFi enabled?
Do you have a Wireless or Wired network adapter?
What are they, and what speeds are they rated for?
What is your internet connection speed?
What other programs did you have running in the background?
Is this a one time occurence, or does this happen often/every time you switch tabs? If it is a one time occurence, then I would probably not worry about it.
I'm using a wired connection and my internet i fast enough. The lag happens when I'm switching tabs while watching a video, pausing the video doesn't make it lag. I've used microsoft edge and google chrome and they both have the issue. The lag happens when i switch tabs only for like 1 second its barely noticeable.

Jan 2, 2021
If it is really a problem, then I would recommend opening Task Manager while you play the video and switch tabs to see which of your components is struggling when you switch tabs from a video. Most likely, the culprit is your CPU or your RAM, and if you were going to upgrade your CPU, you would probably need to get a new computer, as the Core 2 q6600 is EXTREMELY old, from ~2007. I don't know what your motherboard is, but I am guessing that you are probably not using DDR4 RAM at this point, so upgrading your computer to current standards would probably involve getting a new motherboard, cpu, and ram.

Questions for you if you are considering getting a new computer or new components to fix your problem:
What do you use the current computer for, and what would you wish to use the new one for?
What would your budget be for a new computer?

If it's not that big of a deal for you, then probably don't get a new computer.

Key takeaways:
Run Task Manager alongside Chrome while tab switching to see what the struggling component is (CPU, Memory, Disk, or GPU).
If you want to upgrade your computer, maybe for more reasons than just this issue, respond to the questions above for help.
If it's really not a big deal, and you don't want or need a new computer, don't get one.

Solution