Youtube videos started buffering all the time.

Highdefkitten

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015
Hello everyone, I have a weird issue. Youtube videos started buffering on my computer for no reason, I have 120/30 so it's not my internet, I've tried all the other computers on my network, all fine. It's defiantly not this computer because it's less than 5 months old and has been working for all that time.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/by8Y3C is my partlist.

I've tried everything, disabling hardware acceleration, enabling it, running different browsers, running chrome without any addons, etc. Nothing works. please help.

EDIT: I tried other video services, Vessel, Dailymotion, Etc. All work fine at 1080p.

Solution
YouTube recently started to constantly buffer HD videos on my desktop computer as well, making them virtually unwatchable. Like you, other streaming services work absolutely fine. I found a solution in the article linked below that seemed to work for me. Hopefully, it will work for you as well.

The article claims that you are served a cached video from a Content Distribution Network and not from YouTube directly. ISP's can throttle that connection. So, by blocking a range of IP addresses associated with those CDN's, you can get the video directly from YouTube without any throttling.

I went into my computer's firewall and blocked the two IP addresses ranges mentioned in the article. I can now watch 4K videos again without any issues...

BConATL

Honorable
Jan 25, 2016
YouTube recently started to constantly buffer HD videos on my desktop computer as well, making them virtually unwatchable. Like you, other streaming services work absolutely fine. I found a solution in the article linked below that seemed to work for me. Hopefully, it will work for you as well.

The article claims that you are served a cached video from a Content Distribution Network and not from YouTube directly. ISP's can throttle that connection. So, by blocking a range of IP addresses associated with those CDN's, you can get the video directly from YouTube without any throttling.

I went into my computer's firewall and blocked the two IP addresses ranges mentioned in the article. I can now watch 4K videos again without any issues.

https://dottech.org/103278/how-to-make-youtube-videos-load-faster-on-windows-mac-os-x-linux-guide/

[Windows 7 64-bit, Norton Firewall, Comcast]

Solution

BConATL

Honorable
Jan 25, 2016
You're welcome. I was going out of my mind until I finally found that fix. Like you, I tried a ton of other possible solutions to no avail. I'm so glad it worked for you. Cheers.