News YouTuber Tricks ChatGPT Into Generating Windows 95 Keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

BX4096

Reputable
Aug 9, 2020
I have to say, I'm getting a bit tired of this never-ending sensationalist large language model coverage. Considering the strict parameters of the request, it was the YouTuber who "generated" the keys. What ChatGPT did was practically calculator-like services, getting a sum of a few digits and generating a random number as asked. And so what if he did it? That's what these models do. Generate stuff. Please try focusing on more impressive and society changing effects of this (relatively) new technology than covering some silly stunts like this.

baboma

Prominent
Nov 3, 2022
There are lots of fascinating news on AI/ChatGPT, but realistically it's out of scope for THW coverage, which is predicated on PC HW. Tom's Guide has a larger staff with more diverse coverage, but again AI isn't their cup of tea.

What is relevant and interesting is getting one of these LLM models to run on a PC, which is/was what Jarred was doing. I'd be interested in seeing him tackling Stanford's Alpaca, or perhaps ColossalChat, the latter of which is the best current open-source alternative to ChatGPT.

https://chat.colossalai.org

https://github.com/hpcaitech/ColossalAI

https://syncedreview.com/2023/03/29...cloning-chatgpt-with-a-complete-rlhf-pipeline

Last edited:
Reactions: BX4096
meh, it's funny, i do find its interesting how it boldly gaslights people; I suspect, because it's programed not to provide keys, it never bothered to look up the method to create a win95 key, and therefor didn't understand when he said "thanks for the windows95 keys"; prompting it's immediate "I didn't" response.

Had he proceeded to explain to chatgpt the method for making a win95 key it might have understood.

personally i think the funniest chatbot out there is Neuro-sama, there are some incredible clips of that chatbot. My favorite was when the maker of Neuro-sama was having her help him create code and she was just mocking the heck out of him. some really funny stuff.

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
Italy just banned ChatGPT today because it is devulging private information, amounts to plagiarism and does not abide by GDPR.

Good on Italy, hopefully more countries follow soon.

I am sick of tech companies thinking they can just copy and paste anything they please. Just because you found it online doesn't mean it is your data to use and make money from. What is wrong with these arrogant companies like Microsoft and Google.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Why_Me

baboma

Prominent
Nov 3, 2022
yea I want to see an "openchatgpt"

There are open-source efforts underway, see links to ColossalChat above. Anything named "OpenChatGPT" would be a trademark infringement.

Italy just banned ChatGPT because it is devulging private information, amounts to plagiarism and does not abide by GDPR.

Even if it were doable, banning or "pausing" ChatGPT would not matter one whit. The underlying tech is known and is widespread. Assuming if OpenAI were to disappear, the generative-AI frenzy will still plow ahead full force.

The only scenario that might work is for there to be a worldwide moratorium on AI development, not just by any one country, or for any one company. Yeah, right. We might as well ask for world peace while we're at it.

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
Even if it were doable, banning or "pausing" ChatGPT would not matter one whit. The underlying tech is known and is widespread. Assuming if OpenAI were to disappear, the generative-AI frenzy will still plow ahead full force.

The underlying tech requires massive servers. Any company using it to collect private data of Italian citizens will run into Italian law enforcement.

More countries will follow and unless Microsoft and Google want to get blocked by half the planet, they will be forced to take down these AI tools.

Many people saw this coming. You can't just collect mass amounts of private data and make money from that private data without any approval from the citizens you collect this data from. That is a direct violation of every privacy law.

And it will not just be about private data. If ChatGPT is collecting Windows account keys, it is collecting private banking data too.

The AI party is over.

Last edited:

baboma

Prominent
Nov 3, 2022
The underlying tech requires massive servers.

Meta's LLaMa models have been installed/run on PCs, and current open-source efforts are based on it (eg Alpaca and ColossalChat). The model is already pre-trained, and Colossal has scripts for fine-tuning--a step beyond Alpaca--which can be done on a PC. Developments are happening fast. It's not just about ChatGPT/Bard any more.

Check the above ColossalChat for some indication of its potential. It's not GPT-4 level, but I was surprised with its breadth (not depth) of responses.

korekan

Commendable
Jan 15, 2021
AI have bad and good.

for me, i imagining its wildly open and it will be source of creativity that we will advance more in terms of technology. but the sad thing is it will blocked by ethics, IP, ownership, privacy, other law infringement.

But imagine that if it doesnt have limit, and human who using it also beyond any law limit.
maybe we can design more efficient food, engine, cooler, anything in very fast way by using all information already existed.

even we can reduce traffic, employment, or make a steady new economics or else all unimaginable thinks for now.

Reactions: jkflipflop98

F-minus

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2016
Window 95 key checks are pretty basic to say the least, the gist is the first 3 digits can be literally anything non numerical, and the remaining 7 digits when summed needs to be divisible by 7. I don't think you need AI for that.

Jagar123

Prominent
Dec 28, 2022

I think the hype of generative AI will eventually lose its luster and people will move on. Though, I think it will retain some uses and be implemented in many sectors, I don't see it maintaining its hype beyond a couple of years. People will eventually get hyped over the next big thing. This is what is happening to the metaverse now.

Mar 31, 2023
The problem was not with the ability of ChatGPT, it was with the prompt, it needed to be broken into another step where the first 2 zeros are seperate and the language needs to be adjusted that explains the sum and divisible part

DSzymborski

Titan
Window 95 key checks are pretty basic to say the least, the gist is the first 3 digits can be literally anything non numerical, and the remaining 7 digits when summed needs to be divisible by 7. I don't think you need AI for that.

Yeah, it's kind of a "my ATM pin is 3-5-0-0 and I asked the AI what 70 x 50 is AND IT KNEW MY ATM PIN SOMEHOW I DONT EVEN KNOW CALL THE POLICE" thing.

baboma

Prominent
Nov 3, 2022
I think the hype of generative AI will eventually lose its luster and people will move on. Though, I think it will retain some uses and be implemented in many sectors, I don't see it maintaining its hype beyond a couple of years. People will eventually get hyped over the next big thing. This is what is happening to the metaverse now.

AI is different from "metaverse" in at least one critical aspect: many people are using ChatGPT/AI now, for many different uses, whereas metaverse is still a solution in search of a problem.

[You can also swap "metaverse" out for "crypto/web3" for above.]

Hype is inevitable for any major change, but if you've followed developments on generative AI (not just ChatGPT/Bard), there is real substance behind the furor. Many, many companies/startups are putting resources into this field, and we'll see changes sooner than later (months). These are peole putting their money and livelihood on the line, not just idle talk on online forums.

Tom's HW has its strongpoints, but it is not the place for AI news, nor are most of the popular blogs. If you want to see the scope of AI developments, search on "chatgpt" (it's a good keyword proxy for AI), click News tab, and seek out sites dedicated to AI news. MIT Tech Review, SyncedReview.com are two that comes to mind. Or, you can just ask Bing Chat.

To respond directly to your comment, no, AI isn't just hype that will disappear. In my estimation, it will have as much impact as the advent of the Internet. It's a big deal.

Apr 2, 2023
It's easy to generate anything that is openly known. Here is how to generate credit card numbers:
vboest.jpg

Hresna

Prominent
Jun 18, 2022
I have to say, I'm getting a bit tired of this never-ending sensationalist large language model coverage. Considering the strict parameters of the request, it was the YouTuber who "generated" the keys. What ChatGPT did was practically calculator-like services, getting a sum of a few digits and generating a random number as asked. And so what if he did it? That's what these models do. Generate stuff. Please try focusing on more impressive and society changing effects of this (relatively) new technology than covering some silly stunts like this.

Yeah, have to agree with you. This was probably one of the most ridiculously exaggerated and misleading headlines I’ve come across lately. There was literally no “trick” to this, the YouTuber basically teaches the AI the algorithm and gets it to compute results like a glorified calculator… - and it can’t be stressed enough that half the results were wrong because it ignored (misinterpreted, hallucinated, just plain didn’t get right) an essential part of that algorithm.

Status
Not open for further replies.