Z170-A USB Ports Powered On After Shutdown

jl9999

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016
Hi Everyone,

On my ASUS Z170-A, I've noticed that there is still power on the USB and Ethernet port after a system shutdown. For example, the LED on my mouse are still lit after I power off my system. Does anyone know the BIOS setting to disable that feature? I would like to conserve energy.

Thanks!
JL

Solution
For the USB your charging ports might be set to enabled

First go to the Onboard Devices section in your bios and find the following setting:

ASMedia USB 3.1 Battery Charging Support
[Disabled] [Enabled]

Set to [Disabled]

Next find this setting:

USB Type C Power Switch [Auto]
[Auto] [Enabled]

Set it to [Auto]

As for your ethernet adapter, unfortunately these will remain lit up as long as your motherboard is powered and has a lan cable plugged in. Best possible option would be to tape over the lights if they bother you, using electrical tape. If you can live with them, just leave them as is, they don't hurt anything.

Let me know if that solves your problem.

speach

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
For the USB your charging ports might be set to enabled

First go to the Onboard Devices section in your bios and find the following setting:

ASMedia USB 3.1 Battery Charging Support
[Disabled] [Enabled]

Set to [Disabled]

Next find this setting:

USB Type C Power Switch [Auto]
[Auto] [Enabled]

Set it to [Auto]

As for your ethernet adapter, unfortunately these will remain lit up as long as your motherboard is powered and has a lan cable plugged in. Best possible option would be to tape over the lights if they bother you, using electrical tape. If you can live with them, just leave them as is, they don't hurt anything.

Let me know if that solves your problem.

Solution

jl9999

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016

Thanks for the reply.

ASMedia USB 3.1 Battery Charging Support is already set to "Disabled" and USB Type C Power Switch was also set to "Auto".

My mouse is plugged into the USB 2.0 port and stays lit when the system is shutdown. Both USB 2.0 and 3.0 stay powered on after a system shutdown. Any other ideas?

Thanks

speach

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015

This might work. The only other thing I was thinking it could be was Rapid Start Technology keeping the peripherals powered.

WristShooter

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016

Thanks, you are my man! Now USB power supply is disabled when system is in hibernate (S4) or shut down (S5). If you or sb else could also figure out, how to disable USB power supply when the machine is on standby/sleep (S3), this would be great!

adamdehaven

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017

Late reply (but information would be awesome) I have my Google Pixel XL plugged into the USB Type-C port via C-to-C cable. This should support fast charge, however my phone indicates that it is, "charging slowly"

Is there a bios setting I need to change in order to provide the proper current?