Z170 or X99?

AAli Sher

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015
My question is pretty simple.
I'm building a gaming system. Where I live both platforms cost exactly same.
So should I go with an
Asus Maximus VIII Hero /Asrock Z170 K6+ with i7 6700k
OR
MSI X99S Gaming 7 with i7 5820k?

Solution
If they are the same price there is no reason not to go with a X99 build. There is no substitution for more cores on a CPU. You will also be more future proof, maybe you decide to get into some type of photo/video editing in the future. Also not to mention more PCIe Lanes, for running SLI/Crossfire, and M.2 storage.
If you're just gaming there is no reason to get the X99 build. That would be best if you were also doing projects like video rendering, but for gaming the Asus Maximus VIII Hero /Asrock Z170 K6+ with i7 6700k would be all you would need for fantastic performance.

In that same vein, you won't be getting a huge gaming improvement from the i7 CPU, you could save some money and drop down to the i5-6600K.

drockinwv

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
If they are the same price there is no reason not to go with a X99 build. There is no substitution for more cores on a CPU. You will also be more future proof, maybe you decide to get into some type of photo/video editing in the future. Also not to mention more PCIe Lanes, for running SLI/Crossfire, and M.2 storage.

Solution

AAli Sher

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015

True but given the fact that both cost the same, I'm questioning myself on why not X99 and benefit from X99's 6 cores in case I try some video editing in future. I just want to know if either one will produce more fps than the other? Because if not, X99 is clearly the better choice given it has 2 extra cores.

AAli Sher

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015

Exactly why I'm leaning towards X99. It is overall better package at same price, unless Z170 platforms have some edge over X99 in gaming.