[SOLVED] Z170 won't Post following PSU replacement

kearneysj

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2012
Hi,

Ran into an issue where my machine refuses to start following a PSU replacement.

The PC initially wouldn't boot, and it looked to be PSU failure (Aerocool 700w Integrator) as there were no lights on the Motherboard and case power switch did nothing. Replaced with a 700w EVGA bronze. After fitting it, machine started, all lights on the motherboard were solid red. Fans were working, but nothing on the monitor.

I then shut it down to check the PSU connections to the board were OK, and although both the model name LEDs and the Standby Power LEDs are still solid red the motherboard did not post on all attempts to start following the first. Case power switch does nothing. Tried shorting the Power SW. Checked the switch for continuity and it's fine. Removed graphics card, RAM and tried to power on and all to no effect. Tried clearing CMOS by shorting the two pins, and also tried removing the battery for 5 mins. None of this worked.

Out of ideas now. Was thinking that when the original PSU failed, it caused some issue on either the Motherboard or maybe CPU. Is there anything else I can try before I salvage this rig for parts?

Spec

i7 6700k 4.O GHZ
ASUS Z170 Motherboard
32BG RAM (DDR4 2133 / 4 x 8GB)
Gigabyte GEFORCE GTX 1660 6GB RAM
Windows 10 Home 64Bit
1 x 256GB Samsung PCIe M.2 drive
1x 2TB HDD
1 x 1 TB M.2 Drive (In a PCIe conversion card)
1 x SATA 500Gb drive
1 x 700W EVGA Bronze PSU (only new part)

Solution
Given its an Aerocool PSU, it probably isn't exactly designed with the most protections in mind. It is not unlikely that some of your hardware was damaged.

I would try removing the GPu and booting on the igpu

kearneysj

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2012
Given its an Aerocool PSU, it probably isn't exactly designed with the most protections in mind. It is not unlikely that some of your hardware was damaged.

I would try removing the GPu and booting on the igpu

Thanks - I'll try that later. Is there any way to ascertain if the issue is with the Motherboard or CPU?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Thanks - I'll try that later. Is there any way to ascertain if the issue is with the Motherboard or CPU?

Not really, but the motherboard is usually the culprit before teh CPU.

Since you just bought the replacement PSU, you really should exchange it as it doesn't make much sense to replace a cheap, low-end PSU with another low-end PSU. You need a quality 550W, not a mediocre (to be generous) 700W.

kearneysj

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2012
Not really, but the motherboard is usually the culprit before teh CPU.

Since you just bought the replacement PSU, you really should exchange it as it doesn't make much sense to replace a cheap, low-end PSU with another low-end PSU. You need a quality 550W, not a mediocre (to be generous) 700W.

Thanks. The EVGA PSU was a spare one a friend had - wanted to test with a known working PSU.