Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
Specs

Motherboard: ASRock Z270 Killer SLI
CPU: Intel i7-6700K @ 4GHz (LGA1151)
GPU: Asus GTX 1060 STRIX
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws Gaming 16GB DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX750

So on my old motherboard, Z170 Gaming K4, I was able to run G.Skill Ripjaws Gaming DDR4 3000 Mhz 16 GB (4x4GB) fine, no problem.

On my new board, Z270 Killer, that's suddenly not plausible?

I can only get POST with two sticks. So naturally, I thought it could be a faulty stick, but that's not the case either.

I just can't get POST with more than two sticks.

According to specifications, there should be no complications, so what gives?

Solution

Thats definitely your problem. And yeah warranty won't cover it. Hopefully the only issue you have is the memory, with 4-10 bent pins there may be other issues that will crop up later.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Couple things, could be a defective board, could be a bent pin in the CPU socket.

The memory controller is part of the processor, that said some memory doesn't play well with a board. If it won't even POST then it comes down to a hardware issue.

Try resetting the CMOS first just in case, but otherwise I'd be looking at that socket and considering an exchange.

Wadair

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

Yeah, it won't POST with three or four memory sticks on, only works with one or two.
Slots don't seem to be ruined, just that when you have more than two sticks on it won't POST.

Mobo's CPU socket seems to have 4-10 bent pins, could be that.
I've mounted my i7 6700k only twice in there, both times correctly so I haven't pulled back the spring lever to tighten it whilst CPU is mounted wrongly.

Alas, I do have warranty left on mobo but it sounds like they would just appeal to user error as it's next to impossible to prove, so I doubt the hassle is worth it.

Probably just get 2x8GB DDR4 @3200 Mhz instead and be done with it.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Thats definitely your problem. And yeah warranty won't cover it. Hopefully the only issue you have is the memory, with 4-10 bent pins there may be other issues that will crop up later.

Solution