Z370 Chipset, i7-8086K or i7-8700K

Veccio mano

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
I am starting a new build for data and picture management. Some gaming may happen. Which chip would you advise? The i7-8700k with 6-256KB L2 cache. The faster i7-8086k lacks the L2 cache.

Solution
The only difference between the chips is the 8086k is slightly faster out of the box, and it is a better binned chip so you have a better chance of getting a high overclock out of it. It does still have the crappy TIM though, so if you are looking for the highest overclock possible, you would still have to delid to get temperatures under control. Given the hefty price premium, it's probably not worth it, and you almost might be better off buying a binned 8700k off of Silicon Lottery instead if you really want a super high overclock.
The only difference between the chips is the 8086k is slightly faster out of the box, and it is a better binned chip so you have a better chance of getting a high overclock out of it. It does still have the crappy TIM though, so if you are looking for the highest overclock possible, you would still have to delid to get temperatures under control. Given the hefty price premium, it's probably not worth it, and you almost might be better off buying a binned 8700k off of Silicon Lottery instead if you really want a super high overclock.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS